www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: I need a rough explaination on how would a genealogy algorithm work

Question I need a rough explaination on how would a genealogy algorithm work

Hello Everyone,
    I need a rough explaination on how a genealogy with unlimited level would work, something similar to MLM websites.. no details or codes needed just an idea on how would the algorithm work..
    Thank You..

You'll likely want to use the Nested Set model for organizing your data. See this article, in particular about half way down where it begins describing nested sets.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

To state the rather obvious, a genealogy algorithm should work on the assumption that every individual has two natural parents. One male, the other female. However, family relationships can be more complex than that. Siblings can share only one parent and parents can share a parent (or two)! So the algorithm needs to accommodate many exceptions, and even allow one individual to occupy more than one "position" in the relationship tree. So although every individual has one male and one female natural parent, no assumptions can be made beyond that.

Thread Information