www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Graphics rendering in pink bars and sort of pixelated - help

Graphics rendering in pink bars and sort of pixelated - help

I recently had our web site hacked, with a phising hack according to our host provider (HostPapa). HostPapa wiped our site and we had to upload the backed up files, directories, etc. When we repopulated the site, the graphics no longer display property. The following link to a blank page on the site shows the problem with the banner at the top of the page.

Before HostPapa wiped us out, the site was up and running fine for about 2+ years, without a glitch of any type.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am a novice level administrator, having built our present site using a free css template downloaded.

Thanks

First thing I would do is get a new host.

You didn't provide a link so I can't see what you're referring to .

ginger
    Last edited by ginger23; 09-16-2012 at 04:24 AM.

Sorry here is the link: http://www.pgbm.ca/blank_sub_page.htm

I have read lots of negative reviews of our provider (naturally, all after we had committed and signed up), but until now, we have not had any problems.

Thanks

I would try to get a refund for the remainder of your hosting term.

Aside from that, it looks like none of the images specified in your stylesheet are uploaded (or they're uploaded to a different directory.) The only image I could find was banner_daisy.jpg, which is the one shown on that page. I don't know what it's supposed to look like, but I would try viewing the graphic on your own computer before uploading (to make sure that the one you're uploading looks right), then upload to your site again (making sure to upload in binary mode).

You'll need to re-upload the other images specified in the stylesheet as well since they don't appear to be located in your images folder.

ginger

Hi Ginger23. Not sure why you could not see any graphics in the images directory, as they were all there (under the public_html directory). I did, however, FTP/upload the the graphics to the images directory again, but still no joy. All the graphics specified in the style sheet are in the images directory.

The web site, graphics and all, works just perfectly on my computer. Plus all the graphics view perfectly when I look at they in windows explorer as large icons.

I am seriously considering shifting providers, but that is not something I want to tackle at the moment.

I have also taken off the "warning" index page and replaced it with the actual page, so anyone clicking on the website will see the problem (plus the information is still there, and the pages - except for the graphics - all seem to be working like they did before.

Here is the site URL: www.pgbm.ca

Anyone else have any ideas what I have done to create this?

This is just one of several background images specified in your stylesheet:

Code:
    #wrapper-header2 { background: transparent url('images/bg02-blue-left.png') top left no-repeat; }
    . . . so if you browse to http://www.pgbm.ca/images/bh02-blue-left.png you should see an image, right? But there's nothing there, at least I'm getting the red 'X'. Same with the other background images except for banner_daisy.jpg.

Aside from all of that, I think the problem with the images that "are showing on the page" (banner_daisy.jpg, Family.gif and pgbm3.gif), I'll repeat that I think you didn't upload them in binary mode. You probably uploaded them in ascii mode (plain text). Upload them in binary mode and I think they'll display correctly. (Also make sure that all background images that are specified in your stylesheet are uploaded to the /images directory).

ginger
    Last edited by ginger23; 09-16-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Ginger, I cannot thank you enough for all your help. You were 100% correct about everything.

I had uploaded the files in aschii not binary, without knowing it. When I loaded by FTP client to do the upload of the back-up files, it gave me the option to install a newer version, which I did. I didn't even think to check the transfer mode, as it had been set to binary previously. But after reading your last message, I went in and checked the setting and discovered it was not set on binary.

The site is back up and running, thanks to you!!!

I am having a few glitches with the way the menu tabs are displaying (not highlighting the tab of the current page), but other than that, things seem to be back the way they were (far from perfect, but functional).

Thank you again, ever so much! :-)

You're welcome! Glad it's working.

Looks like you have the menu issue corrected as well.

ginger

Thread Information