dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Create a blog site from scratch or go with Wordpress?

Create a blog site from scratch or go with Wordpress?

I recently graduated Community College with an AAS in Web Design and Development. Believe it or not, I still don't have my own website but need to make one to be taken seriously by potential employers. I've decided to make a blog which covers my personal interests and hobbies as well as showcasing some of my skills.

The dilemma is how to do it. Is it cheating for a trained, aspiring pro to use software off the shelf? I've started making a site from scratch but so far it looks like a teenager made it in 1998. I'm using Dreamweaver CS4 and Notepad++. I'm better at scripting than graphic design, which probably explains why I'm having such trouble making it look good.

My classes covered a lot of ground but never went too deeply into any one thing. I have basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, XML, Javascript, VB, ASP/VB, PHP/MySQL, as well as Java, and C++. There are so many techs involved in web development that I feel I really need to pick just a few to focus on mastering before I can get anywhere. Mastery of everything, if even possible, will take much longer.

The question is, what to focus on? As I mentioned, I'm better at scripting so I should probably focus on that. What languages are the most marketable? A teacher told me that PHP is more valuable than Javascript. Is that the consensus here?

I'm posting this in HTML because that's the starting point for new developers like me. Thanks for any feedback and suggestions!

Fascinating.

Four days and not even one look for a new members first post, let alone a response? I took the advice of a sticky and tried to be specific in the thread title. I guess I should have said something generic like "Need advice."

Can anyone at least recommend a web developer site that's newb friendly? I'd be grateful. Thanks!

If the goal of your site is "Blogging", then learn to use WordPress. There is no need to reinvent the wheel, nor would potential clients want to pay you to do so.
    There are many ways to customize your own "theme"... learn enough PHP and CSS to do so. That would be a good start.
    http://jonathanwold.com/tutorials/wordpress_theme/
    If you looking for work in the field of Web Design and Development, you'll need to know HTML and CSS for starters. PHP will also be useful... but the Web display of a PHP page is still based on HTML and CSS... so start there.
    http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_basic.asp
    http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_intro.asp
    Build practice pages. Visit Forums like this and attempt to solve posters questions... after all, once you are hired... that's what you'll be doing... solving problems for your clients.
    Get a paid hosting site (educational expense), one the provides email account and a few other goodies (add-on domains, unlimited storage and bandwidth, auto install of scripts like WordPress)... because that is what your clients will expect... set up their hosting acount, create email accounts, do domain name registrations, etc.
    http://www.lpwebhosting.com/
    http://www.enomcentral.com/
    When a business hires you, the more of these "not just Web design" issues you can handle for them, the more valuable you become.
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video

Thank you for your advice!

I've decided to make a web site on Bluehost and build up from there. I'll start with a Wordpress blog and look for ways to practice and showcase my scripting skills, as well as getting more comfortable and knowledgeable about the "bigger picture."

How To Build A Professional WordPress Website::
    WordPress is the most commonly used content management system (CMS) in the world (2012 WordPress statistical infographic). Many professional websites and private blogs use WordPress and exclusive WordPress web hosting providers (ie: SoundCloudís blog ranked 313 in the world May 2012). Recent studies have shown that more than half of the top 100 blogs in the world use WordPress.
    The popular attraction to WordPress comes from itís complete ease of use for beginners and experts in categories such as maintenance and modifications.
    In this article we will discuss how to acquire a domain name, how to set up web hosting, design, WordPress theme installation, Plugins, Search Engine Marketing, and more from scatch.

1. Acquire A Domain Name
    2. Get WordPress Web Hosting
    3. WordPress Website Design
    4. WordPress Plugins
    5. Search Engine Marketing

I guess, you need much more focus, get the best language for you,personally, I love c++ andphp, maybe that will make you a little bit more efficient and professional

Thread Information