www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Seeking guidance to launch my website.

Seeking guidance to launch my website.

I am interested in setting up and running my own website, however I have never set up or run a website before. I purchased the ElevatedX CMS hosting, and ProxyPass, thinking I would be able to connect the dots and teach myself how to set up Apache, but I don't know what my next steps are and I am left totally lost on my own. I do not know how to run or set up my website after I've paid for hosting and CMS. I'd really like to know what I need to expect to do on my end to allow all of this to be set up. I just hope by knowing this info, I can figure out what I can or can not do, before I put more into investing onto a site. I'm afraid it'll never launch. I have a lot of the tools but no knowledge to put it all together. Do I need to hire a programmer or webmaster? Or can I set it all up and run it after I figure it out? My preferred route is to learn what I need to do and self teach myself. I know that a step to step guideline may be unrealistic, I just want some general guidance on what needs to be done next because I feel very lost. I apologize in advance, as I know most of you probably find my questions to be very silly and also, thank you so much for your patience and time. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

[http://www.elevatedx.com/requirements.php]

If you have bought hosting, why do you need to set up Apache? Isn't all the server stuff set up by the host?

I can't comment on ElevatedX, but in general, you develop your site offline, and only need hosting when you put the site live. You can write and view HTML and CSS with just a text editor and a browser. With a CMS system, you are more tied to developing within the developer environment, but there should still be facilities to set up a development area separate from the live area. Always, always, always make changes in the development area and view the results before transferring the amended files to live. Apart from that, the instructions for using the CMS you have chosen should be available on-line...

Looking at the ElevateX web site I suspect that you have bought a CMS system without hosting, which seems the wrong way to go about building a web site.

a) You will have to learn all the server stuff that is usually dealt with by the host, before you can build a web site.

b) If you are the sort of person who wants to build a server from scratch, why would you want a CMS system??? Surely you would rather hand craft the site in HTML and CSS (and JavaScript and/or PHP)?

I think that you need to clarify your objectives:
    - Do you want to be a server techie?
    - Do you want to learn to develop web sites with HTML, CSS etc...
    - Do you want to focus on the design of web sites (possibly using a hosted CMS system)?

Of course, these are not exclusive options. Some people do all three, but many people focus on the objectives that suit there interests and temperament.
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 09-19-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Thread Information