www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Make iframe in IE respond to onclick events

Make iframe in IE respond to onclick events

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you'd be able to help me with this problem?

As usual, it's complicated, so I'll try to explain myself clearly

I am building a tool for my work, in which there are two html pages.

The parent page is essentially a mult-page site using hidden layers and Java Script events to switch between them.

The parent page contains an iframe.

In the iframe, there is a marquee at the top of it, with further information beneath.

On the parent page, only the top portion of the iframe is displayed (the marquee), acting as a ticker tape.

I want the iframe to be a link to a hidden layer on the parent page.

I have tried to do this by:

1. Placing a transparent <div> mask over the iframe, matching the iframe's size, setting the iframe z-index: 0 and the mask to z-index: 1, then placed the onclick event in the <div> - onclick="showsitemenu();mainpage(6);return false;"

2. Placing the onclick event into the <iframe> tag.

3. All of the above.

Neither of these have worked - the mask doesn't appear to stop me from highlighting text in the marquee. Nothing happens when I click on the mask/iframe.

I have also tried the same methods above with the onmousedown/onmouseup events, but have the same problem. I don't want to use onmouseover because I want the link to be clicked by choice.

I know that I can make the marquee a link, targeting the parent page, but I need that link to display the parent's site menu and mainpage6.

As far as I know, I can't control the parent page's layer display properties from a child's window. I know I can specify <a name="yada"> on the parent and target that from the child, but that's for linking to a position in a page, which is of no use to me.

I'd use a Java Script ticker tape instead of an iframe, but I have to keep in mind that:

1. It should be easy for my non-technical colleagues to edit the marquee/child page

2. By segregating the marquee/child page, they can't damage the parent page irrevocably

I trust them enough to be able to edit markup with my instruction, but don't really want to have them editing scripts, if at all possible.

The tool will be used with Internet Explorer 8+.

Thanks for your time... like I say, if I'm barking up the wrong tree and there's a better way to do this (both for me and my colleagues) then I'm all ears ...eyes
    Last edited by W8 4me; 09-22-2012 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Add Hi Guys

You are certainly getting help because your question is two verbose.

I want the iframe to be a link to a hidden layer on the parent page.
    The purpose of an iframe is to display content from another HTML document within the parent document.

Did you want the content of the iframe to be transferred to the hidden layer or the other way around?

When the point you are trying to convey is a little complicated to explain maybe a URL to a test page will help us better understand what you are trying to achieve.

Thread Information