www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: SSL question

SSL question

I have a website hosted on a regular hosting with my own IP and I purchased COMODO SSL for a year via my hosting provider. I have a primary domain and couple of add-on domains. Add-on domains are completely different domains residing in separate folders of my primary domain (kinda like sub-directories).

I don't really need SSL all that bad. I would probably use PayPal which has its own secured interface for credit card online transactions. BUT...what I do need is to be able to login securely into my Joomla backends where I enter my admin credentials. Obviously, SSL that I have is connected to my primary domain (hoster doesn't provide SSL for add-ons anyway). The good news is that I'm somehow being able to
    use SSL on my add-ons' backends. I force SSL in Joomla configuration for a backend of Joomla and it seems to be working fine. The only thing is...browsers show me a warning messages that I simply ignore since I know what it's about. The warning is because the certificate was issued for a different domain (ie. my primary one only).

The question is...anyone can explain it and do you think SSL would work fine for ALL of the domains (one primary and 2 add-ons)?

If it's only for your own use, you can generate your own SSL certificates, free of charge, so you need not have purchased a certificate in the first place if you only wanted to ensure that you could login to your CMS securely. (It's the certificates that you need to get to convince your customers that your site is secure that you have to pay for.) However, given that you have a certificate, I don't think that there should be an issue with using it on other domains for the purpurpose that you've described.

In terms of further reading:
    - Unfortunately the documentation at http://www.openssl.org/ is incomplete, but is still worth a read,
    - the FreeBSD handbook entry is alright, but doesn't go into much detail : http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...k/openssl.html
    - try also the Ubuntu documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenSSL

Thanks for your advice!
    Well, I know about OpenSSL thing. As a matter of fact, I think I already created once a cert. of my own that way. It's a pretty straightforward process. See, I'm a Windows user, but I use Linux hosting for Joomla! I used to host my own Joomla site on my home PC. I used XAMPP server for that purpose. It's all nice, but I don't think that to go pro with a home regular Internet connection is a serious business. And a cheap laptop as a server too...That's why I have hosting provider. One of the best in the US, BTW. I'm unsure if I can generate and use OpenSSL with a shared hosting account (though I do pay for my own IP). Something to find out. Any ideas?

P.S. I checked my hoster's CPanel and I found SSL Manager there where I can create my own self-signed private SSL cert. to be installed on the primary domain.

Cool. I was just about to say, might be best if you check with your hosting provider to see what they support.

Hi guys,i'm new here and a beginner in this field,could you give me a link about reliable SSL providers?thanks

Thread Information