dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How should I start my first website?

How should I start my first website?

Hi Everyone,

I have always wanted to start my own website, well, i can program in c#, c, c++ and im learning groovy (its a language based on java) on grails (it kinda sucks) for few last months where im working. Im also learning javascript and i also know SQL.
    Im a professional gamer and i want to make a site of my own, with news about the e-sports, a calendar, photo gallery, video stream, a radio.. but i want to start slowly, i also want to learn how to program well, good practices, i do not want to have too much difficult do maintain it.
    Im interested in the .Net platform but i dont know how to start.

Would anyone help me?

thanks in advance.

Same boat :)

Hi There,

I guess it all depends on what you mean by "How should I start..."

Myself I'm also in the process of developing a gaming news site and my only concern right now is what I should and shouldn't do to prevent myself from being targeted for posting something I shouldn't.

As for "where to start" it all depends on what you mean. If you're new to the idea of hosting a .com then you should just start off with the basics. Head over to GoDaddy or any other domain registration site and get your .com. Then get a host to host your domain, I would suggest GoDaddy or DreamHost. They range from 4-9$/mo but usually ask for a years payment up front.

After that it's time to develop your site, if you're confident in making your website from scratch, then go ahead and use Dreamweaver or whatever other tool you would use to create your site. If you're just starting up and you want to get up and running, I would suggest getting WordPress from WordPress.org (not .com) and look into themes online (search wpzoom for WordPress for an example)

Again, I'm fairly new myself, I own over 20 domains but that's just for niche site's with advertisements. I have one main site I'm working on in the background that's dedicated to gaming. So I don't have too much advice to give since I'm in a similar boat, but I hope this helps you somehow.

The only other advice I would give is, get a partner if you can. I'm currently struggling to do this on my own and I haven't even got it up and running yet. I can only imagine once the site is live and I'm completely overwhelmed. So look out for partners if you have any friends interested in the same type of thing, see if they would work with you. I'm having a hell of a time doing that myself, so best of luck!

Cheers!

Thread Information