www.webdeveloper.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: difficulty with placing anchors.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Vantaa, Finland
    Posts
    125

    difficulty with placing anchors.

    I have tried to create on page anchors so that visitors can move up and down the page without scrolling.
    I wanted the anchor to be where the nav bar is and have used the following html code for the anchor point;

    <div id="menu" style="position: relative"><a id="up"></a>

    The code doesn't work and it displays id="up" on the screen. How do I get the code to work?

    I tried using name="up" which worked but the compiler or whatever it is now stated that name is obsolete.
    I assume that name doesn't work in all browsers.

    What code do i need to use to get the anchor to work?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by tony webb View Post
    I have tried to create on page anchors so that visitors can move up and down the page without scrolling.
    I wanted the anchor to be where the nav bar is and have used the following html code for the anchor point;

    <div id="menu" style="position: relative"><a id="up"></a>

    The code doesn't work and it displays id="up" on the screen. How do I get the code to work?

    I tried using name="up" which worked but the compiler or whatever it is now stated that name is obsolete.
    I assume that name doesn't work in all browsers.

    What code do i need to use to get the anchor to work?
    As long as there is a closing </div> tag, there is nothing really wrong with that code. You might have a broken tag in surrounding code. Can you post some of that?

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Vantaa, Finland
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by netsentry View Post
    As long as there is a closing </div> tag, there is nothing really wrong with that code. You might have a broken tag in surrounding code. Can you post some of that?
    Thanks for the quick reply. A code example is below;

    The top of the division is like this:
    <div id="hard" style="padding-top: 30px; padding-bottom: 20px; background-color: #fffff0">
    <hr/>
    <div id="main-back" style="background-color:#fffff0; text-align:left; margin-left: relative; width: 1000px;" >
    <div id="main-box" ><a>id="study_1"</a>
    <h3>What do Christians believe about God?</h3>
    <Div id="texted-1" >
    <!----- text printed here using <p> and </p> /////>

    The bottom of the div looks like this;

    <p><b>Please note</b> that all downloadable files are in .pdf format. You will need Adobe acrobat or a file converter to read them. You can download adobe acrobat <a href="http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/">here</a> here. It is a free download.</p>
    <form><input type="button" value="Download Now" onClick="window.location.href='/test/what-do-christians-believe-about-God.pdf'"></form>
    <p></p>
    <a href="#up">Back to the top</a>
    </div>
    </div>


    If you want to see more of the code you can see it here and click on source

    It's my first site! I initially had all the css code and html on one page and working! but I am now breaking it down into 2 separate files. Some code seems to repeat itself so I guess once this problem is sorted my next job is get rid of the rubbish!

    Thanks for your help.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by tony webb View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. A code example is below;

    The top of the division is like this:
    <div id="hard" style="padding-top: 30px; padding-bottom: 20px; background-color: #fffff0">
    <hr/>
    <div id="main-back" style="background-color:#fffff0; text-align:left; margin-left: relative; width: 1000px;" >
    <div id="main-box" ><a>id="study_1"</a>
    <h3>What do Christians believe about God?</h3>
    <Div id="texted-1" >
    <!----- text printed here using <p> and </p> /////>

    The bottom of the div looks like this;

    <p><b>Please note</b> that all downloadable files are in .pdf format. You will need Adobe acrobat or a file converter to read them. You can download adobe acrobat <a href="http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/">here</a> here. It is a free download.</p>
    <form><input type="button" value="Download Now" onClick="window.location.href='/test/what-do-christians-believe-about-God.pdf'"></form>
    <p></p>
    <a href="#up">Back to the top</a>
    </div>
    </div>


    If you want to see more of the code you can see it here and click on source

    It's my first site! I initially had all the css code and html on one page and working! but I am now breaking it down into 2 separate files. Some code seems to repeat itself so I guess once this problem is sorted my next job is get rid of the rubbish!

    Thanks for your help.
    Instead of <a>id="study_1"</a> ... try
    <a id="study_1"></a>

    The id is a property of the anchor tag <a>. Anything typed between the <a> and </a> will show up as text. Good luck with your site!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4
    Instead of <a>id="study_1"</a>, do <a id="study_1"></a>
    'id' is a property of the anchor tag <a>.
    Good luck with your site

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Vantaa, Finland
    Posts
    125
    Thanks for your reply which was a great help.

    I also received this link with your reply. I don't know if you send it or if it's automatically sent with replies.
    I would like to read the link but I get a 4004 error message. The link is

    Best Practices for Developing a Web Site
    http://www.devx.com/ebook/Article/37584
    Checklists, tips and strategies. Download Now. Simple Registration Required.

    tony webb

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4
    Hmm not sure what that is about, Tony...I do not see it on this end.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center

"

"

X vBulletin 4.2.2 Debug Information

  • Page Generation 0.12419 seconds
  • Memory Usage 2,901KB
  • Queries Executed 13 (?)
More Information
Template Usage (33):
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_global_above_footer
  • (1)ad_global_below_navbar
  • (1)ad_global_header1
  • (1)ad_global_header2
  • (1)ad_navbar_below
  • (1)ad_showthread_firstpost_sig
  • (1)ad_showthread_firstpost_start
  • (1)ad_thread_first_post_content
  • (1)ad_thread_last_post_content
  • (3)bbcode_quote
  • (1)footer
  • (1)forumjump
  • (1)forumrules
  • (1)gobutton
  • (1)header
  • (1)headinclude
  • (1)headinclude_bottom
  • (7)memberaction_dropdown
  • (1)navbar
  • (4)navbar_link
  • (1)navbar_moderation
  • (1)navbar_noticebit
  • (1)navbar_tabs
  • (2)option
  • (7)postbit
  • (7)postbit_onlinestatus
  • (7)postbit_wrapper
  • (1)spacer_close
  • (1)spacer_open
  • (1)tagbit_wrapper 

Phrase Groups Available (6):
  • global
  • inlinemod
  • postbit
  • posting
  • reputationlevel
  • showthread
Included Files (26):
  • ./showthread.php
  • ./global.php
  • ./includes/class_bootstrap.php
  • ./includes/init.php
  • ./includes/class_core.php
  • ./includes/config.php
  • ./includes/functions.php
  • ./includes/functions_navigation.php
  • ./includes/class_friendly_url.php
  • ./includes/class_hook.php
  • ./includes/class_bootstrap_framework.php
  • ./vb/vb.php
  • ./vb/phrase.php
  • ./includes/functions_facebook.php
  • ./includes/functions_calendar.php
  • ./includes/functions_bigthree.php
  • ./includes/class_postbit.php
  • ./includes/class_bbcode.php
  • ./includes/functions_reputation.php
  • ./includes/functions_notice.php
  • ./packages/vbattach/attach.php
  • ./vb/types.php
  • ./vb/cache.php
  • ./vb/cache/db.php
  • ./vb/cache/observer/db.php
  • ./vb/cache/observer.php 

Hooks Called (70):
  • init_startup
  • friendlyurl_resolve_class
  • init_startup_session_setup_start
  • database_pre_fetch_array
  • database_post_fetch_array
  • init_startup_session_setup_complete
  • global_bootstrap_init_start
  • global_bootstrap_init_complete
  • cache_permissions
  • fetch_threadinfo_query
  • fetch_threadinfo
  • fetch_foruminfo
  • load_show_variables
  • load_forum_show_variables
  • global_state_check
  • global_bootstrap_complete
  • global_start
  • style_fetch
  • global_setup_complete
  • showthread_start
  • showthread_getinfo
  • strip_bbcode
  • friendlyurl_clean_fragment
  • friendlyurl_geturl
  • forumjump
  • cache_templates
  • cache_templates_process
  • template_register_var
  • template_render_output
  • fetch_template_start
  • fetch_template_complete
  • parse_templates
  • fetch_musername
  • notices_check_start
  • notices_noticebit
  • process_templates_complete
  • friendlyurl_redirect_canonical
  • showthread_post_start
  • showthread_query_postids
  • showthread_query
  • bbcode_fetch_tags
  • bbcode_create
  • showthread_postbit_create
  • postbit_factory
  • postbit_display_start
  • postbit_imicons
  • bbcode_parse_start
  • bbcode_parse_complete_precache
  • bbcode_parse_complete
  • postbit_display_complete
  • memberaction_dropdown
  • tag_fetchbit_complete
  • forumrules
  • navbits
  • navbits_complete
  • build_navigation_data
  • build_navigation_array
  • check_navigation_permission
  • process_navigation_links_start
  • process_navigation_links_complete
  • set_navigation_menu_element
  • build_navigation_menudata
  • build_navigation_listdata
  • build_navigation_list
  • set_navigation_tab_main
  • set_navigation_tab_fallback
  • navigation_tab_complete
  • fb_like_button
  • showthread_complete
  • page_templates