www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: difficulty with placing anchors.

difficulty with placing anchors.

I have tried to create on page anchors so that visitors can move up and down the page without scrolling.
    I wanted the anchor to be where the nav bar is and have used the following html code for the anchor point;

<div id="menu" style="position: relative"><a id="up"></a>

The code doesn't work and it displays id="up" on the screen. How do I get the code to work?

I tried using name="up" which worked but the compiler or whatever it is now stated that name is obsolete.
    I assume that name doesn't work in all browsers.

What code do i need to use to get the anchor to work?

Quote Originally Posted by tony webb View Post
    I have tried to create on page anchors so that visitors can move up and down the page without scrolling.
    I wanted the anchor to be where the nav bar is and have used the following html code for the anchor point;

<div id="menu" style="position: relative"><a id="up"></a>

The code doesn't work and it displays id="up" on the screen. How do I get the code to work?

I tried using name="up" which worked but the compiler or whatever it is now stated that name is obsolete.
    I assume that name doesn't work in all browsers.

What code do i need to use to get the anchor to work?
    As long as there is a closing </div> tag, there is nothing really wrong with that code. You might have a broken tag in surrounding code. Can you post some of that?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by netsentry View Post
    As long as there is a closing </div> tag, there is nothing really wrong with that code. You might have a broken tag in surrounding code. Can you post some of that?
    Thanks for the quick reply. A code example is below;

The top of the division is like this:
    <div id="hard" style="padding-top: 30px; padding-bottom: 20px; background-color: #fffff0">
    <hr/>
    <div id="main-back" style="background-color:#fffff0; text-align:left; margin-left: relative; width: 1000px;" >
    <div id="main-box" ><a>id="study_1"</a>
    <h3>What do Christians believe about God?</h3>
    <Div id="texted-1" >
    <!----- text printed here using <p> and </p> /////>

The bottom of the div looks like this;

<p><b>Please note</b> that all downloadable files are in .pdf format. You will need Adobe acrobat or a file converter to read them. You can download adobe acrobat <a href="http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/">here</a> here. It is a free download.</p>
    <form><input type="button" value="Download Now" onClick="window.location.href='/test/what-do-christians-believe-about-God.pdf'"></form>
    <p></p>
    <a href="#up">Back to the top</a>
    </div>
    </div>

If you want to see more of the code you can see it here and click on source

It's my first site! I initially had all the css code and html on one page and working! but I am now breaking it down into 2 separate files. Some code seems to repeat itself so I guess once this problem is sorted my next job is get rid of the rubbish!

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by tony webb View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. A code example is below;

The top of the division is like this:
    <div id="hard" style="padding-top: 30px; padding-bottom: 20px; background-color: #fffff0">
    <hr/>
    <div id="main-back" style="background-color:#fffff0; text-align:left; margin-left: relative; width: 1000px;" >
    <div id="main-box" ><a>id="study_1"</a>
    <h3>What do Christians believe about God?</h3>
    <Div id="texted-1" >
    <!----- text printed here using <p> and </p> /////>

The bottom of the div looks like this;

<p><b>Please note</b> that all downloadable files are in .pdf format. You will need Adobe acrobat or a file converter to read them. You can download adobe acrobat <a href="http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/">here</a> here. It is a free download.</p>
    <form><input type="button" value="Download Now" onClick="window.location.href='/test/what-do-christians-believe-about-God.pdf'"></form>
    <p></p>
    <a href="#up">Back to the top</a>
    </div>
    </div>

If you want to see more of the code you can see it here and click on source

It's my first site! I initially had all the css code and html on one page and working! but I am now breaking it down into 2 separate files. Some code seems to repeat itself so I guess once this problem is sorted my next job is get rid of the rubbish!

Thanks for your help.
    Instead of <a>id="study_1"</a> ... try
    <a id="study_1"></a>

The id is a property of the anchor tag <a>. Anything typed between the <a> and </a> will show up as text. Good luck with your site!

Instead of <a>id="study_1"</a>, do <a id="study_1"></a>
    'id' is a property of the anchor tag <a>.
    Good luck with your site

Thanks for your reply which was a great help.

I also received this link with your reply. I don't know if you send it or if it's automatically sent with replies.
    I would like to read the link but I get a 4004 error message. The link is

Best Practices for Developing a Web Site
    http://www.devx.com/ebook/Article/37584
    Checklists, tips and strategies. Download Now. Simple Registration Required.

tony webb

Hmm not sure what that is about, Tony...I do not see it on this end.

Thread Information