www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: HELP finding simple shopping cart, but...

HELP finding simple shopping cart, but...

I've had it. I'm hitting the point where I suffer from information overload. I've looked over so many of them!

I need a shopping cart, that is very simple - if I have 100 - 200 products, all same type, just individual names (for example, videotapes), therefore there are no size/color, etc. extra modules needed. I just want to be able to have a list (perhaps, sorted by type? 3-4 cagegories?), with checkbox options for each item. Seems simple. But.

I am tied to client's stuckiness on YourPay - Linkpoint gateway, and I need a quantity discount module (10% off for 10 items).

I don't need anything custom-written, since it's a tight budget issue.

I need ADVICE, perhaps, someone can recommend something they used. I know Miva would be great for it, and I have good hands-on experience with it, but it's a bit over-qualified, therefore overpriced for client's needs. It's tought, since I quoted the client based on the solution available at my server, but after the contract was signed the solution on the server became unavailable and it's the pain on the a*ss to deal with them to begin with (thus my earlier post on hosting companies). I cannot go back to the client and tell him "o-ops, we need to buy a shopping cart". There may be some money involved to save the reputation, but I don't have the budget to invest in something complicated.

Sorry, I'm rumbling, but I've spent days, if not weeks, looking and searching, and downloading, and adjusting ton's of stuff just to find out it's not what I need.

Don't let me drown, pls!
    Last edited by Daria; 01-29-2004 at 10:00 PM.
    Absence of a result is a result, unless defined otherwise.

What form of scripting do you want it to be in. If you host the thing yourself it is important to specify that. ASP ASP.NET PHP JSP CGI CF. You might want to code the card yourself if you want it to be exactly how you want it, and save cash. I know it can be hard to make something like this, and you might have to learn a new technology, but it goes back to that expression "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself", no ones cart will be exactly how you want it. Plus even if it takes time, you can use that knowledge to make other stuff yourself in the future. It beats buying something. But back to the scripting, we need to know.

"If you have to have something right, do it yourself.
    If you have to have something by Monday, you are screwed" (c) - me

I have all the bells and whistles. on the server. I don't have enough knowledge. I don't do programming - we had the shopping cart built-in in our package, but linkpoint changed their configuration, our server guys are supposedly working on it (already for more then a month), and I'm running out of patience and out of time. Believe me, I have 2 jobs and already feel lucky if I sleep more then 4 hours at night. I'm trying to tackle PHP, but I'm slow due to reasons above...

Right now I'm just looking for a ready-to-go solution.

all the bells and wistles. So you are running a windows server, w2k3, and you have asp asp.net and php running, but wait tomcat and jsp too? I am just messing around, usually you have one or two technologies but not all of them. But anyways since you said php (I am not the greatest authority on php... I dont use it or know it) now someone might be able to suggest something they used in the past.

Yes, we have Linux and Windows, thus freedom of choice.

On the same server? So you swap os on boot, or you run side by side linux and windows servers.

It's a "Unique Windows Hybrid Platform"

Daria,

I used to have a site hosted on nitromax (tell Chad Harold Mitts sent you - i get nothing, just good relations), they are worth a look. they have a shopping cart that comes standard with their hosting, and they are pretty affordable. I am not sure if their cart is linkpoint gateway compatible though, as i said, its been a while since i hosted with them and my needs changed since then. nitromax is a unix flavor host.

I now host with vianetworks and run a .net shopping cart.

another suggestion I would have is for you to contact your clients merchant services. Ask them what cart they prefer to work with and do a search for that search term to find a host who is compatible.

if you really wanted a good host though... bar none... datapipe is my top pic.

take a look at my site and see if you like the cart and checkout process, I can make some suggestions to that end if you are interested in going the .net way

hth

thanks for the tip, h4r01d, I'll keep it in mind.

The customer doesn't know what he wants (I'm not sure he knows the difference between mac and pc), he just wants it working and rightfully so.

OK... update

installed osCommerce, plus quantity and Linkpoint modules.Will try to make it happen. Anyone experienced with osCommerce - I'd appreciate your tips.

D.
    Last edited by Daria; 02-02-2004 at 11:47 AM.

Thread Information