Thread: Move record to another table before deleting

Move record to another table before deleting

Hi all. I'm new to php and am trying to get past something that's probably quite simple. I've got a form with a while loop showing a list of tasks. The task can be deleted with this button:

<a href="delete.php?recordID=<?php echo $row_tasks['id']; ?>">
    <input type="submit" name="submit" id="submit" value="" />

It posts to delete.php where I've got this code to delete the record.

PHP Code:
    if ((isset($_GET['recordID'])) && ($_GET['recordID'] != "")) {
    $deleteSQL sprintf("DELETE FROM tasks WHERE id=%s",
    GetSQLValueString($_GET['recordID'], "int"));

$Result1 mysql_query($deleteSQL$test) or die(mysql_error());

$deleteGoTo "index.php";
      if (isset(
    $deleteGoTo .= (strpos($deleteGoTo'?')) ? "&" "?";
    $deleteGoTo .= $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'];
    header(sprintf("Location: %s"$deleteGoTo));

$query_tasks "SELECT * FROM tasks";
    $Recordset2 mysql_query($query_tasks$test) or die(mysql_error());
    $row_tasks mysql_fetch_assoc($tasks);
    $totalRows_tasks mysql_num_rows($tasks); 
    I need to edit this code so the record being passed inserts into another table before it gets deleted. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks guys

My first suggestion would be to not move it, but instead mark it as deleted. This could either be a "status" field which can have different values to indicate what status applies, including, for example, 'D' for deleted. Or you could just have a separate column only for indicating when it is deleted. This would mean you would update your regular listing queries to include a check of that column's value, e.g.:
    . . . WHERE status != 'D' . . .
    Why I like such an approach is that it makes it easy to generate reports and such since all the historical data is in that one table, plus I just don't like having more tables than I really need.

If you do want/need to go ahead with the idea of moving it to another table, probably the simplest approach is:
    INSERT INTO new_table (col1, col2, col3)
    SELECT col1, col2, col3 FROM old_table WHERE col1='foo'; -- assuming for this example `col1` is the primary key
    Obviously you want to do that before you then delete that record from `old_table`.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

Thanks a lot for the tip. I've done what you suggested and updated the record's status instead and it works great

Hi all. I'm novel to php as well as am annoying to get past amazing that's almost certainly quite easy.

**Links removed by Site Administrator so it doesn't look like you're spamming us. Please don't post them again.**

Thread Information