www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: javascript and manipulating images

javascript and manipulating images

I am currently investigating the best development tools to use to create a web browser based application that will cater for the following functionality

1) Import of a PDF document (that represents a diagram and is the bottom layer)
    2) Manipulate other standard graphic images (from a set of available images shown on the side of the web page)
    3) Superimpose these other graphic images on another layer on top of the PDF diagram by dragging and dropping
    4) Create superimposed grouping of sections of the PDF diagram (by clicking various points that eventually form a bounded/coloured rectangular shape)
    5) Mirroring, Rotating, Scaling the bounded areas (including the implied contents beneath the bounded area i.e. from the PDF layer)
    6) I also need to perform scaled measurements on the diagram using mouse clicks.
    7) Save some representation of the work performed back to a server database (probably using AJAX and json)

Assuming this is all possible to do in a browser (DOM), then this will obviously be a reasonably detailed bit of development work and what I am after are suggestions as to which tools (javascript librarys? or ? ) I should consider investigating as candidates to simplify and make the best job of the task.

I would also be interested in any comments on what are the merits of using different graphical formats (SVG etc...).

Feel free to throw any comments into the mix. I am at the learning/investigating stage and any comments or insights that save me headaches downline () would be very much appreciated.

[Sorry for this long winded question ()]

Thanks in advance

thats really an interesting project, i think all can be done in flash or silverlight in a better way. i dont know much about those technologies but both of them require ActiveX plugins to run.

I cannot say for sure, because I have never attempted anything like this, but I suspect that if it can be done in javascript it will be using html5 (for dragging and dropping elements and the <canvas> tag for graphic manipulation). Which means that the code in IE below 9 will fail.

maybe a framework like jQuery has cross-browser applications of the methods you are describing. Sorry to be quasi-informative. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ZABI View Post
    thats really an interesting project, i think all can be done in flash or silverlight in a better way. i dont know much about those technologies but both of them require ActiveX plugins to run.
    Thanks for the response.

I have been using Silverlight for many years and it would be a preferred route as I can envisage exactly how all my requirements could be achieved. However, as I need to support my application on IPad, and possibly other devices then the Silverlght route becomes complicated. So I have more less decided that whatever solution i put in place it will rely heavily on javascript and javascript libraries of some sort.

thanks again for your response

I think you are correct. I have started investigations into Canvas (HTML 5). I have been using JQuery for a year or so and I would certainly entertain using it provided I can find libraries that help with the graphical bits (from my research so far SVG seems like a promising route to take).

Thanks for your response.

Thread Information