www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Too many divs??

Too many divs??

When making a page I always end up making a lot of divs, seems neat to hold a box of text.

Would it be unreasonable to have a banner holder div with two divs inside it?

Also when formatting does a <P> take css just like a div?

Why I am scared to trust in css with out divs?

Is it because IE has made me think everything will fall apart and end up on top of each other if not neatly confined in a div?

Hi BTW Im making a web page in XHTML 1.0 strict with css 2 and a little of 3.

Dan

Set yourself free, man. CSS applies to every tag, not just the div tag. You've got what's commonly called "divitis"

Dave

Use what's appropriate. It's it's a bunch of text content, use <p>. If it's the beginning of sections, use <h1>, <h2>, etc. If it's a list, use <ul>. Keep in mind, for SEO purposes, you only use one <h1> per page. You can use as many divs as you need, nested however you need. Also, keep in mind, don't have block level elements inside of inline elements. It's not semantically correct. For example, don't do <li><div>stuff</div></li>. If you need a block level element within an inline element, use a <span> and display:block in the CSS.

Quote Originally Posted by Javaboey View Post
    Also, keep in mind, don't have block level elements inside of inline elements. It's not semantically correct. For example, don't do <li><div>stuff</div></li>.
    LI's are not inline elements. There are cases when DIV's inside LI's make total sense. For example:
    http://jsfiddle.net/d8Txw/17/
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

My bad. So replace <li> with an inline tag. My point still stands. Don't use block elements inside inline elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Javaboey View Post
    Use what's appropriate. It's it's a bunch of text content, use <p>. If it's the beginning of sections, use <h1>, <h2>, etc. If it's a list, use <ul>. Keep in mind, for SEO purposes, you only use one <h1> per page. You can use as many divs as you need, nested however you need. Also, keep in mind, don't have block level elements inside of inline elements. It's not semantically correct. For example, don't do <li><div>stuff</div></li>. If you need a block level element within an inline element, use a <span> and display:block in the CSS.
    I use XHTML STRICT, its easy until you want to add videos.

I doubt the use of <H1> will make your site any better for SEO, It should really be outdated like the "FONT" tag.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by cbVision View Post
    LI's are not inline elements. There are cases when DIV's inside LI's make total sense. For example:
    http://jsfiddle.net/d8Txw/17/
    The XHTML 1.0 Strict Validator sorts this out for me.

You can have a <ul> <li> inside a <table> and a <div> and a <P> and you can access them with css.

I have just realized ho difficult it is to add video compatible to popular browsers and formats.

I am using HTML 5 <video> Tag, I have to say they are on the right track with this one.

For all I have seen of embed and object and all the nasty writing you have to do, I am much happier just making a few extra copies with my converter and using <video> tag.

Thanks HTML 5, you may have saved the web jostling corporates, my faith is resumed.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by tracknut View Post
    Set yourself free, man. CSS applies to every tag, not just the div tag. You've got what's commonly called "divitis"

Dave
    Yes but CSS3 is so well accepted these days, content is content, format is format.

Dan

Also I just have to say what is the use of the <object> CLISD tag?

Must people write for the windows registry now just to post a video everyone can see?

I still don't know what it is and hopefully I never will.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by drunken_dev View Post
    I doubt the use of <H1> will make your site any better for SEO, It should really be outdated like the "FONT" tag.
    What's your source for this information? Sounds like malarkey.
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

No source, I was just saying.

It is a bastardisation of old HTML, turning format into content, it should have been ditched years ago.

Dan

h1, h2, h3 tags have nothing to do with formatting content. It has everything to do with semantics. H is for heading ... would you suggest putting headings in paragraph tags? Or div tags?

Quote Originally Posted by cbVision View Post
    h1, h2, h3 tags have nothing to do with formatting content. It has everything to do with semantics. H is for heading ... would you suggest putting headings in paragraph tags? Or div tags?
    Ok I can see the point.
    But for what purpose? Does SEO really read so much of a page that it needs to digest your site as if reading a book?

Cheers

Thread Information