www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Double demo site?

Double demo site?

I transfered my site to a different webhost.
    Because I changed from a version 4 to a version 5 webhost, for a while they didn't put my site up, they let me adapt it in a different location that they had and my site remained visible through my old host.
    When I was done with the changes, they said the site has to propagate from that location to my domain name, which
    it did in a few hours (they told me then that they are a reseller, which I didn't know, and that the propagation time is not up to them).
    After a week I go to that first location they had provided and see that the site is still there. I sent them an email about it, asking if I can now delete those files. As I never got an answer back I deleted them only to find that my site also
    deleted. Since all files were saved on my computer I reinstalled them. I called them and they said that that
    location is a demo location they use and they'll see if they can erase it. They never returned the call.
    I have worked a lot designing my website but I don't know much about servers and how the internet works.
    Is this second identical website necessary? I know google doesn't like duplicate content. Would google penalize me for this?

It sounds to me like the "temporary" address is no problem. It is not a second site, just an different way of accessing the same site. You should not get pernalised for his (as far as I am aware) because it is quite normal.

This not a redirect. It does not redirect to my site.
    Just to clarify that.

In my google analytics page I just discovered that the pages from the other location are analyzed also, seperately from the pages that they duplicate.
    Doesn't that mean google sees them as duplicates?
    It sees them as belonging to my site, but still duplicates, isn't that corect?

In my google analytics page I just discovered that the pages from the other location are analyzed also, seperately from the pages that they duplicate.
    Doesn't that mean google sees them as duplicates?
    It sees them as belonging to my site, but still duplicates, isn't that corect?

Please give specifics of the URLs you are talking about. It seems to me that you are confusing the temporary access to the new site with the old site, but I can't be sure without specifics.

Basically, I think you have two sites, one with the old host, another with the new host. If so, it is your responsibility to take down the old site, now the new one is up.

http://clienti11.claus.xx/~grafitgr/

http://grafitgroup.xx

Instead of xx write ro

Many of the pages are saved in databases.
    The old database connect command does not even work anymore.

claus.xx is the name of the new webhost.

they have another folder with my site, they said so themselves.

I know google analytics somewhere asks you to specify which pages are the same.

For example www.mysite.com and mysite.com

Maybe I should specify there the pages that are identical?

Thanks

Thanks but this is not clear to me. If you make a small change does it appear on both sites? If not, on which one?

I thinks sees them as belonging to my site, but still duplicates, isn't that corect?

I think if you direct name servers to new site your old site will no longer show

Please give a yes/no answer to the question: If you make a small change, does it appear on both sites? And, if not, which one?

Sorry, I've been busy.
    Yes, everything I change on one site changes on the other.

Then they are the same site, which begs the question: how did the temporary address (clienti11.claus) get indexed? Did you submit it to Google?

Anyway, that's history. You should just tell Google to ignore it, and that should be that.

Thread Information