dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Review My Online Game

Hybrid View

Review My Online Game

Back in July 2012, me and a friend decided to create an online game, out of the blue. I was inspired by a web-based game I'd been playing for a while, and wanted to really see how it worked.

Alas, we started and now we've made some pretty significant progress. I've had friends look at the site, and they say it's pretty good.

To answer "the question": No, it's not finished yet. The UI is quite difficult, as none of us are awesome UI developers (but I'm looking for someone to lend a hand).

So, I'd like you to all be as mean as possible. The main site and forum have full functionality, but the ACP and Game don't. Link: www.spacepirates.x10.mx/

Advice, tips, criticism(constructive) are all welcomed.

Cant log in

Cant review your game if I cant log in, nowhere to register new users,
    Sorry

As stated in the original post, the game is nowhere near completion. (There's also a popup box on the log-in page stating only selected people may log in).

I'm looking for a review of our site and forum. In my eyes, it's perfect, but everyone has varying opinions.

The forum is empty and we can't see the game so I'll give you my comments on the home site alone.
    It looks interesting and if your game is focused on that theme and colors it is generally a nice site. Things you could change to make it even better is the background image and the red outlines.
    The background image would be better as a simple pattern or an image on top while blending to a simple color at the bottom. I would also be much better to keep it with something within the topic of your game (the topic seems to be something with pirates but the current image is the universe).
    About the red lines, it may be better to give them a slight 3d feeling with some shadow and/or include the container in a bigger container with low opacity. Things like that usually give a much better feeling in your site.
    Aside those, you could spice up the menu a bit with a nice script to give a themed icon or a shine on hover, you could make the buttons 3d (with button image as background for them), you could make it separate the header for the main body with some distance and add some images on it's sides that extend outside the container for a better visual effect, etc.

So, generally it's a nice site which could become a lot better with some imagination.

I had a friend draw up the background for us. It was full sized and looked much better, but it was a very big filesize, so I was forced to reduce it by a lot.

The game topic is pirates in space, hence the background. The game UI hasn't been decided on yet, however. You do start of "on a planet" but deep into the game, you eventually reach space, where all the content is at.

Also, the forum should now be fixed. I was doing some maintenance earlier therefore I locked the board.

Sorry my mistake, when I read "review my game" well I just thought, you know, even if the game is not finished it might still be playable up to a point, I have 2 games at different stages of development and I can accept new players and they can play up to a point, never mind I understand.
    So my review of the site.
    First glance it is quite appealing strong color and images....but...
    The theme for the forum doesnt match the theme for the site, there is very little about the forum theme that suggests it is connected to that (game) site, and I realize you probably just havent got that far yet, and for future reference the wiki has a different theme again.
    The overall theme as Darkylord said
    "keep it with something within the topic of your game"
    so without seeing the game we just have to imagine it looks like the site theme.
    Simply put, if all the support pages (forum, wiki, etc) have the same theme flowing thru it will look way more professional.
    Cant wait to trial the game.

Thread Information