www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: I HAVE TOO MUCH WORK!! some advice??

I HAVE TOO MUCH WORK!! some advice??

Ive always built my sites from scratch.. check out b2bsnsw.com.au
    but nowadays theres so many useful tools out there that have been perfected,
    why am I "reinventing the wheel" every time i make a new site?

Im so confused, i want to just start using a framework like wordpress or joomla but I cant understand them!!
    I would really just prefer to keep making sites my way... but they lack fancy css3 **** and SEO..

DO YOU GUYS MAKE YOUR SITES FROM SCRATCH???????
    maybe use snippets from the net for certain things here and there, but generally make it yourself??
    I CANT UNDERSTAND HOW TO CUSTOMISE WORDPRESS!!!
    ****KKKKK!! ive got so much work backed up and im freaking out..

pleaseee

i just want to know what you guys do..

Personally, I prefer to make my own sites almost from scratch too but I usually "steal" parts of code I used in other sites so I wont have to "reinventing the wheel" as you mentioned, each time I make a new site.
    In most sites some parts are very similar after all (like a log in function) so you can store such parts of code for general use and just adapt them in your new sites. Of course the first time you will have to spend the time to make them but the more sites you make, the less time you need.
    I prefer this way from using tools, especially tools like joomla, because there are no limitations and/or foreign code. Recycling my code is saving me time and I can still work with something familiar which is way easier to adapt in my site.

Oh, great. thats what i have been doing. I just get intimidated and start to panic when new ways of doing things pop up and im not familiar with it.. I just really wanna get involved in the opensource movement that is wordpress/joomla etc.. but I just HATE learning the ins and outs of someone elses framework. hate it!

You may want to investigate a grid framework such as http://960.gs/.
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

My two Euro cent: I think that developing a unique site in WordPress is substantially more effort than doing without a content management system. I find it's intellectually more demanding - because without a CMS, the extent of the files that we'd have to worry about for a three page website would be something like this:

HTML files - index.html, about.html, contact.html,
    CSS stylesheets - reset.css, 960.css, style.css,
    JavaScript - jquery-1.8.2.min.js, script.js.
    in addition, probably, to a number of image files.

If I'm doing something solely for my own use, and I'm not anticipating the project growing to encompass more than a few pages, then I've no reason not to take this approach. Except for that creating all of these files from scratch involves a lot of duplication, as has already been noted. With that in mind, I tend to use a customized version of HTML5 Boilerplate (http://html5boilerplate.com/) - which puts the bare bones structure of the site in place.

If I'm developing a site for someone else, the likelihood is that they're going to want to be able to make changes to the content themselves without having to alter the source code of the site, which pretty much means that using some sort of CMS is essential.

At the moment, I'm experimenting with Bones - http://themble.com/bones/ - a WordPress Theme for Developers based on HTML5 Boilerplate. You pretty much have to use a CSS preprocessor such as LESS or SASS to use it, and it takes a while to get your head around it, but it's a lot less mind boggling than trying to write a theme from scratch. I'd be very much interested to hear what other people's approaches are.
    Crisialu Web Design
    Daihuws's Blog

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise."

Use a system somewhere between reinventing the wheel, and a complete CMS, ie create your own (hand coded) templates from work you have previously done.
    Make (use) half a dozen completely different original sites as templates and replace all the content with "Lorem Ipsum" text and replace all the images with generic images, like if a site is basically yellow, call it Bananas and use images of bananas, then all you do is let the client choose from templates, and list whatever changes they want.

Build up a stock of different templates, so you can keep using the same wheels and just paint them a different colour.

Give them all distinct names (that reflect their style) and most of the CSS work is done.

As far as Joomla and Wordpress are concerned, it has been said, they are easy and handy once you get past the huge learning curve, and accept the serious limitations and restrictions, but they're good for adding modules that otherwise take ages to code, like forms, carts, registrations/memberships, and database stuff.
    But again once you find (or write) your own forms, just include them in your templates as pages.

Thread Information