www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Search engine indexing problems

Hybrid View

Search engine indexing problems

Hi everyone,

I recently developed a website for a client on an existing domain. Another web designer had bought the domain, hosted it, and then quit or got fired. I think the DNS server was subsequently changed before I started work on the project. Now after the new site is complete, there are several search engine indexing issues that I have not seen before:

1 - Using Google SE, the homepage is returned and shows up with the following description: "A description for this result is not available because of this site's robots.txt learn more."

2 - Using Bing SE, the homepage is returned with a non-existing page as the description. This page probably existed on the site before I started working on it, but was deleted at least 6 months ago.

Regarding the first issue, I have double checked that there is no robots.txt file at all for this site (hosted by godaddy), so all pages should be indexed. I have also done some minor SEO to allow bots to access meta data which should produce a proper description for the site.

For the second issue, there is no way that Bing should take months to properly index changes to a website, right?

The website url is http://cladisadvisory.com

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I will suggest you to do Onsite Optimization for your Website.

Create sitemap.xml, urllist.txt, ror.xml and robots.txt file and upload to your ftp directory.

Submit your sitemap in Google & Bing Webmaster Tools.

I hope you have got the right solution.

Also, put fresh content regularly to your site, it would really help a lot, there is no dout to it.

Your site might offer visitors the opportunity to send a link to a friend or bookmark the page they are on. With older sites these sharing tools often require the use of a pop-up form. Unfortunately, each time content is shared a new page is dynamically generated. As you expand your content, you’ll find that each new page you build creates a “shadow page” that you never think of, but that search engines find.

If you have created sitemap and you post fresh content regularly then you may not get indexing problem as well.

Thread Information