dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: I want to add HTML 5 Rich snippets.. but my site is XHTML 1.0 strict?

I want to add HTML 5 Rich snippets.. but my site is XHTML 1.0 strict?

Have just completed a site and it is coded with DTD HTML strict 1.0.

So I want to add some search engine information for search results and customer information.

Google and Schema.org have this markup called Micro data and it looks as if it might be of some use to my site in assisting search results and customer information.

But my site is XHTML 1.0 strict.

Why is such strict a content based markup left only for HTML 5?

How come XHTML 1.0 strict is left out?

How do I get around this issue and add Microdata to my XHTML strict 1.0 pages?

Dan

The microformats used by Google do not require HTML5. Both microdata and RDFa are compatible with XHTML. See Google's Rich Snippets Help for details.

Do you know if Dublin Core would be suitable for <meta> tags simple page info in each page <head> section?
    I have used that just for content and description.
    I am not sure if encapsulating info into <div> would be suitable for my site.

It does look good though the site sells/promotes over 80 small products (electrical connectors).

I think I can cover the page contents with Dublin Core tags - Subject; content; description; type.

I mean the pages do not have a huge amount of text and one page describes one product or lists them in a parts list.

Do you think this would suffice? it is not a huge site just 16-20 pages.

Dan
    Last edited by drunken_dev; 11-18-2012 at 05:44 PM.

To my knowledge, none of the major search engines support Dublin Core. I heard that some European services were using it several years ago, but interest in it has certainly dwindled.

RDFa is pretty flexible in terms of mark-up. I've had good success with it on both an e-commerce site and an informational website in terms of rich snippets in both Google and Bing. That would be my suggestion.

Thanks,

I thought it might be a bit obscure though it does seem to just use basic tags.

I will have a look at RDFa.

Dan

Thread Information