www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Help with browser cross-compatibility.

Help with browser cross-compatibility.

Hello all. I am new at the whole website building thing, so forgive my ignorance. I created a website to catalogue a collection of mine. The site displays perfectly on Internet Explorer but does not on all the other main browsers. All that is displayed is a bunch of chinese characters. Could someone try and help me resolve this issue? Thanks so much!

My site is www.romanvmimperivm.com. I am guessing it may have something to do with the type of code I used? I truly have no idea. Thanks for any and all help!!

HTML Errors

No frame document type on your frame pages. No character encoding meta tag, no language attribute in html tag, shorttag used although document is not XHTML and other minor errors flagged because of frames being used.

Content on all pages do show "㌲灴㬢㸊㱵㹁⁃慴慬潧略㰯甾㰯瀾㱰⁳瑹汥" characters. That's because encoding is UTF-16. Try UTF-8. Also, there may be BOM before the html tag. That should be removed:

��<html>
    Suggest you code pages without frames and use a proper document type.
    Last edited by Major Payne; 12-05-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Red face

Major,

I added a DOCTYPE to my site and now it is visible on Chrome and Safari in addition to IE, but it still displays chinese on Firefox. I ran the site again on the website you used above and there are still many errors and warnings present. Not sure how to get rid of them all. The terminology they are using to describe the problems is over my head. I basically used everything I could remember from an old high school HTML course to make my site, which is why there are so many problems.

Thanks for your help so far...I am so glad it works on two other browsers now! 3 out of the big 4 are good. Just gotta defeat Firefox now...

Just gotta say, I hate frames!

several free tools are available to preview the site to find how it will look like on each browser, Search in Google to get the download urls.

You must add a Character Encoding meta tag for all browsers. You are using an improper document type for HTML 4.01 frameset. It's:
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
       "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
    You still have lots of HTML errors which may correct themselves once you apply the correct doctype for pages. Example Frameset.

Thread Information