www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Bulk Hyperlinking More Efficiently

Bulk Hyperlinking More Efficiently

Hey guys,

My supervisor has been fixing the "Legal Terms" & "Contact Us" hyperlinks that go at the bottom of every page on one of our websites. We are using VEPLAN, a school management software, and he has tasked me with the url edits on each and every hyperlink since he is falling behind on the task.

Basically, the steps:
    Click on 'side menu' to manage it. Go to menu edit. Click on each link ffor corresponding page of the menu list (there are A LOT). Edit the page. It is in "WYS/WIG Editor" instead of "HTML Editor" mode. Scroll to the bottom of the page, click on "Legal Terms" text, click on "add hyperlink" icon, copy-paste the url into the field, click on "Contact Us" text, sopy-paste url into the field, save, update, update.... Repeat over & over on every page....

Is there a shortcut for this task? I'm very new to HTML (I work with hardware support & network management), but I even I swear that my boss is doing this the hard "novice" way. I'm assuming that there might be a more efficient way via HTML coding. Suggestions?

Brain Fart

Oops! I just realized how stupid I had been. I was following my boss' instructions, but - obviously - merely copying the hyperlink bundle then pasting through every page repeatedly would reduce the time drastically. My fault.

For future reference, headers, menus, footers and any blocks of code that are repeated on multiple pages are best done as separate files that you include on the pages. However, it is a lot of work to set up, and you need to write it in PHP. It's best done when you set up a new site, but can be done retrospectively.

First. Thanks, jedaisoul.

I was actually wondering why he had not used footers or coding to repeat for every page. Especially for something so basic. (Not sure whether to blame the actual web designer, my supervisor, or both.) Thank you for confirming my thoughts on this. This was one of his tasks delegated by the department director, our mutual boss, but he has spent over 2 work days clicking, copying, pasting, saving, updating, etc etc repeat without less than 600 pages to show for a basic url adjustment for a simple "Legal Terms" "Student Login" "Contact Us" footer (a manually implemented footer at that). Apparently, his years of experience as an expert hasn't taught him that copying+pasting a cluster of hyperlinks with corrected URLs don't get the job done. I've done the 2nd batch of 600 pages in 2-3 hours because of common sense.

Anyway, I'm having an ethical issue with this now that I know that implementing a footer coding is obviously the right choice as well as another major reason. He only has the URLs for 2 of the 3 hyperlinks, so if I keep continuing this... I'll end up doing this all over again for the 3rd URL (Student Login) once we set it. I suggested that if we are going to keep doing this manually as he wants, we should request for the 3rd URL or advice our boss of this in order to reduce redundancy. He stressed that we need to worry about that later and that he has to just get all these copy+pasted to show something of what he's done. I asked if I could just contact our boss in case he can provide us with is quickly to which he responded very negatively.

I want to avoid all this nonsense and actually code a footer into the site since this is going to be a major headache in the future. I'm working without pay while at home in order to get my own projects done to help him with his deadline. Plus, I'm having issues with work being done improperly; this is costing our employer time and money (not to mention, he is somewhat being deceived). However, am I throwing this guy under the bus? And I do have to work with him, and he is my senior after it's all said and done. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    For future reference, headers, menus, footers and any blocks of code that are repeated on multiple pages are best done as separate files that you include on the pages. However, it is a lot of work to set up, and you need to write it in PHP. It's best done when you set up a new site, but can be done retrospectively.

I can only advise on the technicalities of adding a standard footer...

Firstly, how is the site built, i.e. are you using a web page creation package like Wordpress? If so, I cannot be specific as I've never used a package. You will need to check whatever documentation is available for the package.

However, if the web pages are written manually as HTML files using a text editor, it is quite straight forwards. But I must stress that, if you have 600+ existing pages, it is going to be a major job. I'll explain why...

What you need to do is:

a) Check that your web server supports PHP.

b) Set up a separate development area. If your existing development area is on-line this should work as before. But if you work with off-line copies of the web pages, you will need to set up a local host. The best way to do that is download WAMP from the internet, and follow the instructions.

c) Copy the existing web pages to the development area, and rename them with the file extension ".PHP" instead of ".HTML".

d) Amend ALL links between the pages to match the new names (with 600+ pages that is going to be a major piece of work!!!).

e) Test the new pages to see that they work as before. (At this point you can test the pages as you would HTML ones).

f) Create the include file in the development area, and call it, say, "footer.html".

g) Remove the footer info from each web page and replace it with:

<?php include 'footer.html'; ?>

h) Test the amended pages. At this point they have to be on a local host or on-line.

i) Make sure that you have a copy of the existing live site readily available, so you can reverse the update if it goes wrong!!!

j) If all is ok, copy the amended files to the live area (deleting old .HTML files).

I hope that you now understand that, whilst using include files are a good idea in the long term, implementing them on a site with 600+ pages is not a trivial exercise. You'd probably be better off just doing the changes the old way for now...
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 12-09-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Thanks a lot, Jedaisoul! I'm working on it right now, and the suggestion is receiving a good response. I'll let you know how it goes.

edit: I created another page and coded it into the html body for the site basically copy pasting html coding I noticed on sites that have a style that I generally liked while making my own edits to get the look that I want. I saved the coding for the site as a document and implemented the change as a precaution. It appears to be working rather well and was very simple. Thank goodness for Inspect Element function, search engines, and some common sense. Thanks again for the help!
    Last edited by DigitalNomad; 12-10-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Thread Information