dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Getting started - Simple Newbie questions

Hybrid View

Getting started - Simple Newbie questions

Hello all,

I have some very broad questions which I hope can be answered for me. I intend to work very hard to reach my goals, but need to be pointed in the right direction. I know very little technical jargon, and I'm well aware this will take a large investment of time. Anything worth doing is worth doing right though, I'm not going to fork over 1000's for somebody to do what I can learn myself.

I have operated quite a few websites, using free domains and previously designed skins (or simple customization GUI like way back when I ran on geocities). I am completely uneducated to development jargon on both the client and server side -- I'm looking for people to simply tell me to do this, you need to learn this [jargon], buy this book, buy this software, take a look at xxx.com/ for a guide.

I'm looking to step up into the big time here.

TO THE POINT:
    For my questions I would like to know software options, and any additional notes I should be aware of to reach my goals
    I want to move my blog which has been implemented simply using blogger on my own, fully customized page. I own Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 please keep this in mind.

1. Can I create a FULLY FUNCTIONAL blog with CS6 (I'm also willing to add software to the bag) and set it up to still have all the "comments" sections, links to other hot articles by the author that updates itself... basically all the functionality I already get with blogger -- as well as move the content from hundreds of pages on my website into this new system?

2. I want users to be able to register on this website, have their own profile "about this author" page, the ability to submit their own blogs (which I can monitor, move if in the wrong section, edit, remove, etc.

3. I want communities for users, such as "CPA" "CFE" "Musician", etc. where they can easily find others in the same field, and view their profiles. I want these profiles to also contain links to current / "buzz" works written by the author, updating itself based on date and/or amount of page views. I also want it to show a count of contributions (blogs) written by the user, and maybe a few other statistics.

4. I want these users to be able to add each other as friends, comment on each others author page (think facebook wall but MUCH more simplistic), have a chat window with their online friends (once again think facebook -- I have seen websites that outsource these, but would like to make my own design for this).

5. How would I manage these users? (Sign up process, confirmation email, obtain a list of all the people who are registed, etc. I know nothing about subscriptions.

6. I want to have a forums section (basically that looks exactly like this website), how is this done?

7. If down the road I want to add premium, paid membership services. How do I go about setting that up?

Thats about it for now. Essentially I want to transfer my blog with all functionality as step 1, so this is the current focus.

This overhaul is a long term plan for me, don't laugh at me, I will get it done ;p.

Sorry if this post is jumbled.

Why dont you try to use HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP and MYSQL without using Dreamweaver?

Thread Information