dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Newbie in need

Newbie in need

Greetings newbie here.
    posted in HTML but got no feedback, trying my luck again..

i want to create my own site to sell a book, but i need a script to get people a free teaser!

You enter a mail and you get a free sample, do i need to order one or are there any free templates on the net.

Thank you.

I would look at modifying a "Contact Us" form; for example:

http://www.freecontactform.com/email_form.php

This is a PHP example. I haven't tested it, but it looks half decent for a beginners tutorial

You would need to pull out some bits of it (ie you dont need to collect phone numbers). The most obvious other thing to modify is to change

@mail($email_to, $email_subject, $email_message, $headers);

to

@mail($email_from, $email_subject, $email_message, $headers);

so that it mails them the book; You would then modify the Comments variable to either include the sample chapter, or to link to a "secret" url that contains the sample chapter.

I'm not sure why you want to send them a sample chapter rather than have a page on the site where they can read one. This is what sites like Amazon do. Many people are leery of giving out their e-mail address for fear of spam. Also people are used to instant gratification on the web and asking them to wait for an e-mail will lose you a lot of sales. I would advise you to make a graphic (say a picture of the book cover) with something like "Sample Chapter!" written over it, put it in a prominent place on the home page and make the graphic link to a page that contains the sample. The sample page can be very basic and still do the job.

thanks, really a god answer, simple might be better,
    and johhny-s thank you for the time and effort, i might use that for another project!

Thread Information