www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Parse postal address

Parse postal address

Let's say I have this string:

HTML Code:
        <div>john doe is nice guy btw 8240 E marblehead way 92808 is also</div>
    or this string:
    HTML Code:
        <div>sky being blue? in the world is true? 123 Main St., apt c420 Anywhere, USA 12345 jackfroast nipping on the firehead</div>
    How would I go about parsing a string similar to the one of the strings above, extracting the address and document.write-ing the address? Would this involve some sort of regex code?

I've tried looking online for a solution using jQuery/Javascript, but to no avail.
    And no other post here (as far as I know) provides a solution that uses jQuery and/or Javascript.

Can somebody point me in the right direction? How would I go about accomplishing this in jQuery/JavaScript?

Thank you in advance

Regular expressions would probably be the way to go. The actual code could however get very complex depending on how many different styles of addresses you'd want to detect.

This link might help you.
    Last edited by ReFreezed; 12-27-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    New to web development or in need of a good reference? Check out the Mozilla Developer Network or W3Schools.

you could try grabbing everything between the first and last occurrences of a number, but that will run into trouble if there is a number in the string that isn't part of the address...

Code:
    <body>
     <div class="address">john doe is nice guy btw 8240 E marblehead way 92808 is also</div>
    <div class="address">sky being blue? in the world is true? 123 Main St., apt c420 Anywhere, USA 12345 jackfroast nipping on the firehead</div>
    <div class="address">I know 1 thing -  456 Second St., Somewhere, USA 16789 was the best place I ever lived</div>
    <div id="res"></div>
    <script>
    var divs=document.getElementsByTagName("div");
      for (var i = 0; i < divs.length; i++) {
      if(divs[i].className=="address"){
      var str=divs[i].innerHTML;
      var parsed=str.match(/\d(.*\d)/)[0];
      document.getElementById("res").innerHTML+=parsed+"<br>";
      }
    }
    </script>
    </body>

Thanks, but the string would also be handling a lot of phone numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by xelawho View Post
    you could try grabbing everything between the first and last occurrences of a number, but that will run into trouble if there is a number in the string that isn't part of the address...

Code:
    <body>
     <div class="address">john doe is nice guy btw 8240 E marblehead way 92808 is also</div>
    <div class="address">sky being blue? in the world is true? 123 Main St., apt c420 Anywhere, USA 12345 jackfroast nipping on the firehead</div>
    <div class="address">I know 1 thing -  456 Second St., Somewhere, USA 16789 was the best place I ever lived</div>
    <div id="res"></div>
    <script>
    var divs=document.getElementsByTagName("div");
      for (var i = 0; i < divs.length; i++) {
      if(divs[i].className=="address"){
      var str=divs[i].innerHTML;
      var parsed=str.match(/\d(.*\d)/)[0];
      document.getElementById("res").innerHTML+=parsed+"<br>";
      }
    }
    </script>
    </body>

Thanks, but this woudn't work as I would be handling a lot of phone numbers and dates.

Ah, but this solution woudn't work, cause I'm also dealing with phone numbers and dates...

Thread Information