www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Uploading a site

Hybrid View

Uploading a site

So, this is a very basic question. I have made a site and I have no idea whatsoever how to upload it online. The domain was brought by someone else and now I've got the username and password. I don't know where these are supposed to be used. Some help.

Is this an existing site, that you have bought the rights to? If so it depends on how that site was written. E.g. The username and password you have may give access to the user area on the web host, or access to the developer aea on the site itself.

The simple answer is, ask the person who sold you the site to show you how to access it!!!

Ftp

FTP = file transfer protocol. You seem to have the domain host/server and URL address set up. Right? Now you use FTP to upload your files to the host/server.

At the moment, cannot find how to do it without some FTP software (there is a way). Check with your host/server to see if they have some FTP program built-in and/or what they recommend. There are some free FTP programs so do a search.

I use DREAMWEAVER to transfer files. If you have Dreamweaver, let me know and I'll try to walk you through the steps. Generally it's something like that shown in scren shot FTP.sitename.com

Cannot upload screen shot

See for instance http://www.visn.co.uk/ftp.html for explanation and examples

FTP

What is FTP? FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol and it's generally used as a means of uploading files to web sites. There are many different FTP clients (programs) on the market and it's very much up to personal preference which one you choose.

Using Windows Explorer to upload your website

ftp://username.password@hostServer.com/public_html

The easiest way to get your site uploaded without paying extra money for an FTP client is to use Microsoft Windows Explorer. You would typically enter a URL in the format of ftp://Username:Password@Host/directory/ into the address bar. It's then possible to drag and drop any files you want to upload into this window. For example...

That example of Dreamweaver is an old version.

Desktop/Screen shot 2013-01-02 at 7.22.44 PM.png
    Last edited by auntnini; 01-02-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: ad quote

how to upload screenshot ? ? ? ?

Is it under "attachments"?

Thread Information