www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SITE UPDATE: Place feedback here

SITE UPDATE: Place feedback here

As you can see, we just updated the site. If you see issues, please let us know in this thread. This was a pretty big update, so we expect a few bugs might have creeped in.

Thanks!

Brad!

It's going to take some getting used to. I notice the page needs about 1500px wide to fully display the forum, which seems a bit excessive.

Page numbers on multi-page threads aren't showing.

Dave

chertsey, a small town s.w. of london, england.
    Hi there Brad,

to my old eyes, something seem to have gone wrong with the setup.

I visit a few coding forums and see only one that has upgraded to version 4.1.5....
    1. VB Forums

...and two that have upgraded to version 4.2.0....
    1. Dynamic Drive Forums
    2. Community for Webmasters and Developers

There is also one that looks as though it is either 4.1.5 or 4.2.0...
    1. AHFB Webmaster Forums

Personally, I find that all of the above look and work better than Web Developer Forums, at present.

Obviously, I assume that there is quite a lot of tweaking in the pipeline.

coothead

We upgraded all of our forums to 4.1.5. That includes VBForums. The other forums you listed are not ours, so I can't speak regarding them.

There are a number of tweaks I've pointed out to the developers that need to be fixed on this site. I've a list showing some are fixed and many are still in process today. You should feel free to point out specific items in this thread or the feedback forum.

As to the width - the forum should work at a smaller resolution than 1500. It works best at 1280 or higher for the width, but that covers nearly everyone coming the forum at this time. (( We know mobile devices aren't running at 1280 (yet), so we will be looking into that ))

again - any other issues you see, let us know. Even if I've already pointed them out to the developers, it doesn't hurt to have you guys mention them too.

Brad!

The

Hi there Brad,
    The other forums you listed are not ours, so I can't speak regarding them.
    I did not say that they were.

They were given to show that, unlike "Webdeveloper.com's" implementation, version to 4.1.5 can work really well.

At present everything about this forum's new layout seems to be disturbingly counter intuitive.

Or to put it into plain English, it's a real pain in the arse.

coothead

Hi there Brad,

this is really weird, immediately after making my previous post to this thread, I returned
    to the "Forum Home" to find that magically everything was returned to normality.

It's almost enough to me reassess my life long agnosticism.

coothead

oooops, just experienced a "Senior Moment".
    Last edited by coothead; 09-08-2012 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Senior Moment

Quote Originally Posted by coothead View Post
    Hi there Brad,

this is really weird, immediately after making my previous post to this thread, I returned
    to the "Forum Home" to find that magically everything was returned to normality.

It's almost enough to me reassess my life long agnosticism.

coothead
    That's one of the issues that will get fixed... When I first come here the site looks like a big "index" type page... Clicking the new "FORUM" tab looking button fixes it..

Hi there Steve,

change your "Bookmark" from...

...to...

...to effect a cure.

coothead

Cool. Looks like a redirect is in order.

The way I typically view a busy site is by looking at "recent posts"; I used to be able to do it on webdeveloper. With the new version, there are two options "What's new" and "new posts" that seem to produce identical results. What they don't do though is show the list of posts since I last looked, they seem to just sort all posts by when they were posted, leaving me to remember when I last viewed the list. And to see the time the posts were made (so I don't go thinking a post from 3 days ago is something I haven't looked at), I need my browser set to about 1500px wide, or the time gets cut off.

Also the number of views on posts is odd. Some posts seem to permanently have "0 views" even while they have replies. Other posts seem to have a non-zero view count.

Dave

I don't like the new [c0de][/c0de] display. The box is just too small, can't you make it stretch to 100% and give it more height, say 500-600 pixles?

Also, it might be a good idea to stop the text from wrapping, since scroll bars are implemented anyway. The code window appears to have white-space set to pre or pre-wrap, but horizontal srollbars are active.

Using Chrome on OS X, I'm seeing tiny, fixed-size, useless code boxes. Unacceptable, IMO.

Screen shot 2012-10-18 at 9.15.18 AM.png
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

Correction. It seems as though only the PHP code boxes are tiny and fixed. See attached ...

Screen shot 2012-10-18 at 9.21.29 AM.png
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

We'll ask the devs to look at the code boxes. I believe that if we make them more dynamic that they end up getting skewed by long lines of code. I also know that when it comes to fixed widths, we have to consider the average browser width, which means that people using wide screens are going to see wasted space.

We'll run this by the devs and see what they say and can do.

Brad!

Thread Information