www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] Using remotely stored fonts with @font-face

Hybrid View

resolved [RESOLVED] Using remotely stored fonts with @font-face

Hello,
    I've been trying to make an e-bay auction using my own fonts linked through @font-face. Since it's just an e-bay auction, I need to store the font on a remote server.

I've created a local .html test file with the HTML code that will be used as a description for the auction. The font works only when it is stored locally, but when I provide a remote URL in the CSS, like
    Code:
     url('http://mysite.com/fonts/Exo-Regular-Italic-webfont.woff') format('woff');
    it doesn't work anymore (I've tried placing it on 2 different servers).

However, if I use a URL pointing to a font from Google Webfonts instead, like
    Code:
    url('http://themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/wendyone/v1/oRf9i5HKN7RZoSnys4E2uj8E0i7KZn-EPnyo3HZu7kw.woff') format('woff');
    it works like a charm, which is a proof that it is possible to make it work remotely.

Unfortunately Google Webfonts doesn't have the font I'm interested in, so I have to use a font from my own server.
    So basically, what does Google's server have, that my doesn't that makes it work?

I've tested it on Firefox and IE9.
    I'm sure the CSS itself is allright since it works locally, I've also used the ones from fontsquirrel.com fontface kits.
    Thank you in advance for any help

Resolved, it turned out that Firefox and IE don't support absolute URLs to fonts, unless font server explicitly allows it through HTTP headers (which Google does).

Thread Information