Hi everyone.

I have some web design experience working with XHTML, CSS, PHP, and one framework, but I haven't done much frontend work and I'm just getting into it now. It seems like most modern webpages have some sort of fading picture effect done in Flash, where one image slowly fades into another one at about five second intervals.

I'm just wondering if there's a simple way to do this, or if you have to shell out money for a professional product like CS. When I Google how to do this, it seems like every tutorial is expecting me to already have CS6 at least, and it kind of surprises me that there's no free way to do something that's so common on webpages these days.

Thanks for any help.