www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Please review my tutorials website

Hybrid View

Please review my tutorials website

Hi,
    I have put together a series of tutorials and help files for beginners learning HTML and basic CSS, also tutorials for configuring and deploying OpenSIm Virtual Worlds, and some talk and advice about building computer games.
    I guess the first critique I seek is for presentation, then content if anyone is keen enough to look.

Check website here www.3dcc.com.au

I will be extending each of the 3 sections as I go, This is work in progress,
    Thanks
    Cam

I am excited in getting your tutorials. I have a C/C++ programmer for over 30 years, and I would like to learn these new interpreted languages. I feel so behind the times. You must know how it is. When you have been using the same thing this long and it has always worked well, you see no needs to change. I feel the need to change for my personal reasons only. I might even fully retire from my company and go on my own. IFrom what I have read, I don't a team foundations group to be as creative as I want to be as in C. I really want to learn this side of the our field.
    Sincerely,
    Raymond Poston, PhD

On a brief scan, I notice you are teaching XHTML syntax (a dying breed, imo) though you don't mention XHTML once in the tutorial, as far as I could see. You also don't have a doctype in your code, therefore it is non-standard, which I would think would be something you'd discuss right off the bat (say in your section called "compliance").

Dave

Thank you Tracknut for your comments, a very good point taken about explaining doctype, I will expand the tutorial in that direction, I left it out early because the tut was about enticing complete noobs to start, and doctype declarations can look a bit "Codish" and for brevity sidestepped the whole html4.1 explanation. But it probably is best to go there before I go into CSS at any depth.
    I know what you mean about teaching redundant technology, although I dont agree with XHTML being a dying breed because it is still the top standard, and W3C's HTML5 validator is still considered experimental, and its completion looks a long way off, so for beginners I felt it was best to cut their teeth on XHTML. But your opinion is respected.

You are probably right about telling them what version standards I am working with, it probably means giving a W3C validation service tut.

#dicotomy, thank you for your comments, may I ask what was your overall opinion of my site (presentation, content, usability)
    Thanks again
    Cam

Well, the best part about your website is the simplicity. Everything is so clear that a layman can also understand your message. Yes all the technical terms are good but the content used by you is showing all the things you want to say.

Thread Information