www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Photo Resolution - Web Optimization

Photo Resolution - Web Optimization

Hi,

I am new graphic and web designer. I would like to upload some photos in my website with high quality resolution. I hope you can help me with tips and advice in the proper way of uploading high quality photos in the website.

1. What is the maximum image file size that I can upload to the webpage? I have 2-3 MB image sizes.

2. What is the recommended and best image resolution to use in webpages? Does it make a difference if i have 72 dpi resolution or a 600 dpi resolution image?

3. Does high resolution and high image file size affect the page ranking and performance of the website? if yes, in what way?

4. How can i have a high resolution image with fixed pixel dimension? For example, the image should have 770x200 pixel dimension, can i increase the resolution of the image without changing or altering the dimension? How can i do this in Photoshop?

I appreciate your input and expert advice. Thanks for your help in advance.

Remember you do NOT want to give away high resolution images. That's your copyrighted creativity. First, in Photoshop fill in FILE>File Info -- including copyright info.

Then when you FILE>Save for Web nd Devices, you have to make a choice between file size and quality.

Seems that 72ppi is still standard for Web, even though browser resolutions have changed. In Photosop Image>File Size, pay attention to the pixel dimensions at very top. Figure 500px height brings you to "window fold" -- you don't want viewer to have to scroll to see whole image.

I cut down images to 300px height and used CSS to display them at 500px -- which seems to work OK at http://www.josephdenaro.com/heads/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by www.aljoufilaw. View Post

1. What is the maximum image file size that I can upload to the webpage? I have 2-3 MB image sizes.
    There is no real limit. Common sense says that you would only load an image that is practical to display on a screen, but you've probably seen things like "high resolution image from the mars rover" where it displays seemingly millions and millions of pixels of data.

2. What is the recommended and best image resolution to use in webpages? Does it make a difference if i have 72 dpi resolution or a 600 dpi resolution image?
    DPI on the web makes absolutely no difference. It is a printing issue, and not relevant for web images. Set it to 1dpi, 72dpi, 600dpi, no difference.

3. Does high resolution and high image file size affect the page ranking and performance of the website? if yes, in what way?
    Not to my knowledge.

4. How can i have a high resolution image with fixed pixel dimension? For example, the image should have 770x200 pixel dimension, can i increase the resolution of the image without changing or altering the dimension? How can i do this in Photoshop?
    On the web, all there is, is the number of pixels in the image. You're describing something that doesn't exist - altering "resolution" while leaving the image size in pixels the same. There is no such thing.

Dave

Thread Information