www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Frames in dreamweaver...

Frames in dreamweaver...

Hiya,
    I am new here, hoping to get some help regarding frames in dreamweaver. I understand how they are working and I have my content changing at the bottom, leaving the menu and banner alone, which is great. But the problem I am facing now is, when I upload these - how will I get it to have the main page as home and not just load "home.html"
    because if i click on home.html it loads up just that content and not the menu and banner. I have to click on frameset.html to open that and click where I have linked it.

I also have every page as "untitled document" and it wont change for that!

Please help as I was really please with how much I worked out so far and do not want to be discouraged.

all the best
    dan

Edit, Im really sorry but I realised how to change that untitled document. Just the first question remaining

Note <FRAMESET> is deprecated in HTML5.

Upload your <FRAMESET> code in which you set up the source and name of the different <FRAME>s and home.html page. Insert code inside
    Code:
     and
    tags so it;s easier to read. That way someone can try to figure out what you have.

Dreamweaver CS6 does not see to offer <FRAMESET> options. You say you know how it works?

========
    The <FRAMESET> in which you define the <FRAMES>, columns, rows, sources, names, etc. forms the structure of the whole page/browser window. <FRAMESET> chops the browser window into <FRAME>s.
    ========
    see http://help.adobe.com/en_US/dreamwea...94ae8d65-7d41a

http://www.fourlevel.com/dreamweaver...sets/index.htm

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/dreamwea...d65-7d4ea.html

http://webdesign.about.com/od/dreamw...h-Dreamweaver/
    Last edited by auntnini; 01-13-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: expand add reference links

hiya, sorry mate, really not that experienced with all this. I found it a lot more simple when i not using frames but they look so much better than tables as tables leave a gap around the edge.
    Firstly I wanna tell you that I'm in cs 5.5
    The website isn't chopped up(?) its fine im just woundering how to make sure that when i upload it it will go to the frameset page and not just load a main frame you know?
    For example you know how you need to call it index.html to tell your site this is the first page to load, yeah? So how do I do this when its called frameset?????

all the best and thanks for the reply

dan

See for instance http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/ht.../frameset.html

The <FRAMESET> replaces the <BODY> and is a container for designated <FRAMES> into which browser window is chopped. Your main index.html page is the <FRAMESET>. If you want to link back to opening page you would use target="_top" or target="_parent" to go up one.

You really should avoid both <TABLE> and <FRAMESET> layouts and learn how to use CSS to layout a Wen page

===========
    Your main page (the <FRAMESET> page) should be saved as index.html or index.htm, which will be the default page loaded by the server.
    Last edited by auntnini; 01-13-2013 at 04:22 PM.

I can use css but the div tags are also making the page not be full like frames do.

So when I upload this it will stay as I wanted it? frameset is the same as index????? this sounds good if so. Also you are providing some good links. Do you have any taht tell me how to upload a website to x10 hosting through dreamweaver? when I did it earlier it said that 3 files couldnt be transfered

x10hosting ?

Just tried to sign up for a FREE x10hosting account to see how that works, but no luck so I don;t know how x10 works or why some files could not be uploaded.

Do they allow FTP (File Transfer Protocol) uploading?

You have the file / page name INDEX.HTML (which the server sends to the visitor to your site), on that page in the <HEAD> you should have <title>title of page</title></HEAD> html tags. Normally, what shows in browser window would be in <BODY>page content</BODY> html tags, but instead you have <FRAMESET> ... content in <frames></FRAMESET> tags

So, as this was created in dreaweaver, it should just be set out already right?

I dont want to use frames, its just that divs leave a white gap at the sides(even when set to 100%!)

Thread Information