www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need help

Need help

Hi, I'm developing portfolio website and I want to have music player, playing some audio file. The only problem is once i refresh the page, audio restarts. And this is what i want to avoid, basically I want the music player to play the same audio file, while user surfing across pages.

The hole site has been done in php, so there is no way for me to start fresh, using frames, or any other most advised way. What I'm trying to find out, is there any way somehow build a script which stores a session in a memory and play the music file continuously cross the pages.

Thanks in advance

The key issue is that the audio player software is contained within a webpage, and once the user leaves that page the player will stop because it's containing page no longer exists. It might be possible to write some JavaScript that would record the player's position within the audio file when the page is unloaded and pass that information to the next page and have the player resume playing at that point. But there would almost certainly be a noticeable interruption in the playing between pages with that method.

The only sure way to keep the playing continuous is to use a scheme that keeps the page that contains the player loaded in the user's browser. You could use JavaScript to create a pop-up window that loads the page with the audio player, but that method will often fail because so many users have some kind of pop-up blocker installed. The only other method of simultaneously loading more than one page in the user's browser would be to use frames. You can still have your pages generated by PHP. PHP generates HTML code and frames are perfectly legal HTML. All it would really take is a <frameset> consisting of two frames: one frame to hold your site's normal content and one to hold a page for the player (which could be made just one pixel tall or wide to make it nearly invisible). The only major problem is getting the <frameset> page loaded properly if a user tries to directly load one of the site's internal pages. JavaScript can help with that, too.

But before you put any real effort into this, be sure you really want to do it. Automatically playing an audio file is very intrusive and doing it on every page on a site could quiickly annoy for your users and cause them to leave your site. That's why you rarely see any websites play audio automatically anymore.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Yes, I totally agree with "Rtrethewey" that first you should decide that playing automatic audio file is really convenient for your website or not? Then after you should go through some updated Java script or any code, which helps you to complete this task.

I hate automatic audio as well. I'm usually on a site to read and music breaks my concentration. If I can't turn it off within 3 seconds, I'm gone.

Now if I asked the audio to play, that's different. I love listening to music on YouTube.
    Last edited by evenstar7139; 01-19-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    The better I get at programming, the more I appreciate arrays. Handy dandy things they are.

Thread Information