www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to avoid Wordpress spamming?

Question How to avoid Wordpress spamming?

Hi,

I have a blog that is managed by WordPress on my domain site.
    Every day i get like 10 "comments" to approve but I do not think even one is relevant to the post.
    Only weird names, email addresses, and crazy list of keywords...

How can we stop people to use the blog as a "link farm" and restrict the comments to real people who really can contribute to the post...
    Thanks

I suggest you to use a custom wordpress function to ban empty referrers. Spammers are not visiting your website to post comments, so you can use this principle to reduce the number of spam comments.

Make your users log-in to comment. This is something that probably won’t be a good idea for the majority of bloggers, but it will certainly stop spam. I would also recommend using a Captcha (like Recaptcha) and disabling pingbacks.

Do-
    1) Captcha
    2) Comments for moderation (Don;t let them live instantly)
    3) Words limit. (Mim 50-80 character in their comments)

Let the comment be published after your approval..Then spammers might not try to comment your blog..More over let the name with a keyword will be automatically banned..

There are thousands of anti-spam plugins but you don’t want them all. Most will slow down your blog and as a matter of fact, I tried over 50 variations of spam plugins; some caused error and some did not work.

Akismet- Akismet filters out your comment and track-back spam. It is installed on all wordpress by default so all you need is the API key. If you are in individual running a personal blog then you can get this for free. Business blogs will have to pay a small monthly fee and it’s worth it. So get the Akismet API key and activate Akismet on your wordpress blog.
    *** spam signature deleted by moderator - please do not put it back ***

I would say use Akismet plugin on Wordpress, it fights with spammers, I would say.

Hi,the best way i use to stop that kind of spam is the Disqus plugin.. it's really good and work perfectly to all my wordpress blogs.. give it a try..

reputation management

Quote Originally Posted by raveenasen View Post
    Hi,the best way i use to stop that kind of spam is the Disqus plugin.. it's really good and work perfectly to all my wordpress blogs.. give it a try..

reputation management
    Thanks for letting me know about this plugin, I would research more about it.

Thread Information