www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: ipad pixels

Hybrid View

ipad pixels

Hi all,

I think the ipad resolution is 1024px x 768 px. I thought this meant that if I took a screenshot the image I would get would be get 1024px x 768 px. But in fact the images I get are 2048 px x 1536 px (ie double).

Can anyone please tell me where these extra pixels are coming from and also is there a setting on the ipad somewhere so I can tell it to make the screenshots 1024px x 768 px?

Thanks

which iPad do you have? the iPad 2 has a resolution of 1024x768, the new one with the Retina Display has a larger one, even though they are the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjblajda View Post
    which iPad do you have? the iPad 2 has a resolution of 1024x768, the new one with the Retina Display has a larger one, even though they are the same size.
    OK yes that explains it thanks - my ipad is 2048 px x 1536 px.

So I am trying a media query...

This one...

@media (min-width: 1000px) {
    }

...catches my ipad, but this one does not.

@media (min-width: 1100px) {
    }

So it looks like that for the purposes of media queries my ipad is defined as 1024px. Any ideas please why it is defined as 1024px and not 2048 px?

im pretty sure the way the retina display works is that the resolution is virtual. the screen only actually fits 1024 pixels, but virtually it crams double the pixels into the same amount of space.

Thread Information