Hello,
I have a div contained in an object that registers for a click event, and once clicked, uses ajax to communicate with the server and update a user rating for an item.

When updating the rating, it checks if the item already exists in the database, if not, I use an INSERT, otherwise I use an UPDATE. My issue is that if the user clicks very quickly, two INSERTS are run and i end up with duplicates in my database. If the ajax call has a chance to return between clicks then it works as expected with an UPDATE being run on all subsequent clicks. Is there a standard means of preventing this or disabling the onclick and re-enabling it on the ajax call back?

Here is my abbreviated code:

PHP Code:
$sql="UPDATE database SET rating=" $_POST['rating'] . ", status=" $_POST['status'] . " WHERE user=" $_POST['user'] . " AND isbn=" $_POST['isbn'];

$result mysql_query($sql);       
    if (
mysql_affected_rows()==0) {

$sql="INSERT INTO database (user, isbn, rating, status) VALUES (" $_POST['user'] . ", " $_POST['isbn'] . ", " $_POST['rating'] . ", " $_POST['status'] . ")";
            if (!
mysql_query($sql$connection))
        {
            echo(
"------Book failed to add------");
        }
        else
        {
            echo(
"------Book successfully added------");
        }
    }
    else
    {
        echo(
"------Book successfully updated------");
    } 
Code:
//add event listener
star1.addEventListener('click', function(e){changeYouStars(e, mySelf);}, false);