www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Understanding bandwidth usage

Understanding bandwidth usage

I pulled some numbers from my site and I'll post them here.

Sites: 137
    KBytes: 8825
    Visits: 163
    Pages: 341
    Files: 628
    Hits: 786

Now, when I log into CPanel I get a message saying I've used 0.03 Megabytes of bandwidth for this month. Shouldn't that number actually reflect what number is being shown in KBytes? I'm just asking because I'm trying to figure out the actual amount of bandwidth I use in a month and seeing the amount of hits I get and the amount of bandwidth used, not the number of KBytes, never really added up in my head.

very odd. Well you can do it the crappy approx way of taking all of the images and code on your main page and maybe throw in a few often visited secondaries and make a guess at which one it really is. The problem is you are hosting a butt load of pages, are you doing web design for others too??? Kinda a dumb question.

The number of pages I have listed above I believe should be the number of pages that were hit/viewed/whatever because the month before I had 1851 pages and I KNOW I don't have that many pages on my site.

lol. I thought this was some big reseller account with 50 sites in it that you ran with that many pages. Humm, contact your host tell them they have a bug in the system and need to get a zapper to citronella candel on it.

it might also be a case where people make a call on the server for a page, which counts the page, then navigate someplace else before all of its page elements are loaded.

ie; if you have a image someplace that is loaded near the end of page load, and they leave before its even loaded, that image isnt transferred and probly not counted in your logs.

also, some hosts will count your uploading as bandwidth, so dont forget to consider that (if your host does that to you) in your total bandwidth usage.

there are a ton of smaller reseller account ppl out there who dont give valid statistics, but I think thats another thread.

Thread Information