www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: A really challenging puzzle

A really challenging puzzle

You may have encountered this puzzle previously -- it is a great challenge -- a good way to test your web development skills and a nice diversion from coding sessions. The most important outcome is not finding the hidden message -- I will eventually reveal what it is if there is enough interest and people keep working toward a solution -- but explaining how you arrived at it . This exercise also illustrates the futility of trying to hide source code.

http://drpeterjones.com/hidden/hidden.php.

Hint: there are several ways to solve the puzzle. If you have seen and solved this before, please don't let the cat out of the bag just yet (there is a clue here).

James
    Web Developer Tool Kit - for creating Standards compliant and Interoperable web pages
    W3C Markup Validation Service - validate HTML code for reliable rendering in all Browsers
    WAVE accessibility evaluation tool - check page structure, image alt text, form labels, etc.

I've solved it, the simplest way I think
    Good test, actually, to check one's ability to solve the problem the most effective way.

CTRL+SHIFT+I using Chrome
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by zergi View Post
    I've solved it, the simplest way I think
    Good test, actually, to check one's ability to solve the problem the most effective way.
    Congratultions zerg! Why don't you post the hidden message here and I will tell you if it is correct? But don't post the way you solved it just yet (a little later please) in order to let others have a shot at solving it their way.

James
    Web Developer Tool Kit - for creating Standards compliant and Interoperable web pages
    W3C Markup Validation Service - validate HTML code for reliable rendering in all Browsers
    WAVE accessibility evaluation tool - check page structure, image alt text, form labels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cbVision View Post
    CTRL+SHIFT+I using Chrome
    I didn't get the hidden message doing that, cbvision, just this ..........

<!--

PLEASE NOTE:
    You think you're smart, but you're not.
    You haven't solved the puzzle.
    This is just a decoy page. Keep trying.

-->

......... followed by random code. Is there anything else you did?

James

The hidden message I found was: "THE CAT SCREAMS AT MIDNIGHT"
    JavaScript: Learn | Validate | Compact | bionoid

<!-- HIDDEN MESSAGE: 'THE CAT SCREAMS AT MIDNIGHT' -->
    After CTRL+SHIFT+I (since this solution is already provided ) just look through the DOM tree in the elements tab.

I also found it using the same method as above (in IE9), but because I was interested to know how it worked I went through all the methods of obfuscation and deception used in order to hide the end result. I can be more detailed if requested by the OP.
    JavaScript: Learn | Validate | Compact | bionoid

CTRL+SHIFT+I brings up the developers console. Then press CTRL+F for find, and type in "hidden message." You'll find this:

<!-- HIDDEN MESSAGE: 'THE CAT SCREAMS AT MIDNIGHT' -->
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

Excellent cbvision, bionoid and zergi - you are all correct!

I have also solved it using (via Firefox) Dom Inspector, Firebug and Web Developer. The easiest I have found is using MS (save file as ..... open in Notepad)

I hope others post their methods.

James

Thread Information