www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: user interface for data driven website

user interface for data driven website

Hi, I am developing the front end of a data driven website, the underlying database consists of 50 or more tables broken down to third normal form. I need some advice on what tools are best suited for this project, tools I have in mind so far include: Dreamweaver MX, mySQL, J2EE, Visual InterDev and Oracle Discoverer. Any comparison or suggestion of other tools would be appreciated.

Rishi Patel

VIM

cheers, but not really what i'm lookin for

Does anyone know of any good examples of decent data driven websites out there, Iím looking for examples of clean professional looking sites

Cheers
    Rishi

What server side language are you using or looking to use. PHP goes hand in hand with mysql. Asp and asp.net go with mssql well. Any of those can work with oracle too.

Hi,
    have a look at this:

www.discoverycomputing.com

over 50 database tables normalized and 150 ASP pages. This site is all dynamic.
    ----------------------------------

wow, thats just what i'm looking to build... any idea what tools were used in the design, and what query language was used. the main thing i'm also interested in is how the results are displayed, with a nice graphic title bar and the borders.
    cheers for all the help and time taken to help me out..

Hi,
    its was me who build the whole site.

Dreamweaver MX for assembling.
    ASP code i write myself.
    SQL Server 2000 for the database
    Fireworks MX for the graphics.
    SQL for queries

Results are displayed by running a sql query, putting the results in a recordset then loop through the recordset.

cheers mate, that has helped me come to some decisions. I'm comfortable with using dreamweaver MX cuz i've built all my sites using it, it's just the recordset stuff i have no clue about, can u suggest a good place to learn this stuff. and I use Paintshop Por to design my graphics, does fireworks have any advantages over this?

HI,
    no problem . I take it you are going to develop using ASP cause you posted in the asp forum. How much ASP experience do you have?
    here would be a good place to start looking and learning. Nearly every second post that has ASP code in it will have a recordset and code for creating recordsets from the results of an sql query on a database.

Fireworks Vs Photoshop

I would find it hard to compare these 2 as i do feel that they are not applications for doing the same thing. Ok they both produce graphics and can manipulate graphics but there main functionalities are different. Fireworks does not have the power of photoshop for manipulating photos or for creating complex graphics. However Fireworks is good at creating web graphics. Fireworks file sizes are smaller that what you get from photoshop, which makes a big difference on the web. Photoshop is very complex to use compared to Fireworks.

You may find that a combination of them both would suit you.

Other asp resources

type in "asp resources" or "asp tutorials" into google will yield you lots of useful sites.

www.aspfaq.com
    www.aspin.com
    www.aspfaqs.com
    www.4guysfromrolla.com/

and microsoft

Lets make everyone learn asp.net!
    http://asp.net
    http://411asp.net
    http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com
    are my favorites. Plus I know a great ms sponsored hosting service that comes with no ads, sql server, uncapped bandwidth, all free for you to learn on. :P asp.net has several advantages over asp classic, you can explore links in my sig to find out more.

Ah, thats great, I haven't used ASP before but I'm sure it shouldn't be a problem learning it, especially as there are so many resources!! are there any alternatives to ASP which may be more advantageous? or is ASP thought of as the best?

for the moment I'm concentrating on the design (look and feel) creating input forms etc, so do u think i'm going in the right direction by using Dreamweaver MX, Photoshop/fireworks and ASP.NET...?
    suggestions of any other tools would be greatly appreciated

You have two roots you can go down with web development.

1. Microsoft ASP/ASP.NET/VBScript/C#/Jscript/SQL Server/Access Etc.
    2. Open Source Php/JavaScript/Perl/My SQL/JAVA Etc.

Most people on this forum normally stick to one or the other. Both have there advantages and disadvantages. Have a read through the general forum we have covered the majority of these in previous posts. In regard to ASP there is a major difference between ASP and ASP.NET do get them confused they are entirely different. The open Source equivalent to ASP is Php. I have never used Php mainly because ASP has everything I need. Most Php developers would say the same about Asp, never needed to use it because Php has everything they need. Most of the time it comes down to the price of the development tools and running costs of each platform. Almost all the Open Source platform and development tools are free, microsofts arenít. ASP.NET is the newest technology in web development Microsoft has tried to solve many of the development problems encountered by previous technologies as well as making major improvements with cross platform issues. The is because the .NET framework has been built on XML. XML is what allows for information to be transferred between different platforms.
    The tools you are thinking of using would be more then adequate for web development. The only other suggestion for going down the Microsoft root would be to swap Dreamweaver MX with Visual Studio.NET. The guys over in the PHP forum would be able to suggest a whole bunch of free tools you can use to develop the Open Source root.
    Hope this helps

Thread Information