www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: html5 or Silverlight

Hybrid View

html5 or Silverlight

Hello,

a- Should I continue to learn Silverlight, or change my mind to HTML5?
    b- HTML5 has an equivalent to Silverlight RIA Services? Whatís its name?
    c- Can you recommend a book to learn to develop HTML for business projects?

Why Iím asking these questions:

Iím currently maintaining an Intranet website made in ASP.NET (C#), but for new projects I

want to change to a new technology, because:

- I want to have my curriculum updated so I can have more work opportunities.
    - I want to use a technology that will not be deprecated in near future.

I am currently reading a very good book that teaches you how to create Silverlight

Business oriented Web sites. For the moment, Iíve learned to create very basic user

interfaces that are able to call RIA services via Domain Context classes, and thus, read

and update data on the server. I could say that I have read ľ of the book.

But all this time I had voices on my head telling me that Iím maybe on the wrong path, as

on a lots of forums, people says that Silverlight will be dead in the next future, as

Microsoft has declared that they made a shift to html5, and the support for Silverlight

will be for a limited amount of years, and no newer versions will be developed.

So I cannot permit myself to waste my limited time in learning anything that will not be

optimally well-spent.

What do you recommend, please Ö? Here and there, people ask similar questions, but the

answers they get depend always on the profile the person that answer has. If she/he is

ĎMicrosoft.net used-toí, will recommend Microsoft. If not, HTML5.

But for the time being, I donít have a concrete and impartial answer. My mind is fully

confused about what to learn in Developing stuff, as never was, as far as I can remember.

Very thanks in advance,

Roger

Hey Rogerts,

There is a lot of demand of Silverlight in the Local Market especially in the USA. Lots of clients are looking for a Silverlight Development to the Website Application. It something really amazing that if you learn it. One of my friend is an Silverlight Developer with C# language.

Regards,
    Melvin

Hello,

Thanks for your answer, but here in Spain if you look at a very important job website for the word 'Silverlight' you find 60 offers, but if you look for 'html5' there are 600+. So... Is it another 'unforeseen consequence' of living in Spain, or something similar happens there in the USA ?

Thanks

Roger

Roger, I am talking about the future. There demand would be grown as per the mobile app has been grown. I have better experience in the Mobile App Development. But However some of my colleagues which are Business Developer are preferring to do focus over the Microsoft Technologies because they got a lot of requirement related to the Silverlight.

I would say that you need to certified in the Silverlight if you need to grow your salary and designation.

Checkout these link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...aspx?id=70-506

I hope you will get better result from these...

Both have their own importance. HTML5 and silverlight, both have their purposes and uses. If possible go for both.

It won't hurt you to learn Silverlight today; however, for the long term, HTML5 could be the better long term choice. HTML5 is getting more attention by Microsoft and others. With Windows 8, Microsoft has even indicated that HTML5 is a good way to go.

One key is to look at an MVC approach to building applications. Separate your views from the business and other logic. If you do that, it will be easier to swap between different display approaches (Silverlight vs HTML).

We (the people running this site) think HTML5 is important enough that we built a development center at http://www.htmlgoodies.com/html5. The growth on that site is great.

I've a few good HTML books, but none that jump out as being 'the html5' book yet. Let me ask a few people what they think are good books.

Brad!

Thread Information