www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Issue with SQLite database file

Issue with SQLite database file

Hello,
    I've got an issue with creating database file in SQLite. For some reasons db file is created but it's empty inside.
    Here is my code. I was doing through it several times, can't see anything wrong with it. Does it actually depend on computer I am using?

<?

$db=sqlite_open("art.db");

@sqlite_query($db, "DROP TABLE Picture");
    @sqlite_query($db, "DROP TABLE Artist");
    @sqlite_query($db, "DROP TABLE Sales");
    @sqlite_query($db,"CREATE TABLE Picture (ID integer PRIMARY KEY , name VARCHAR[200], year integer, artistID integer)",$sqliteerror);
    @sqlite_query($db,"CREATE TABLE Artist (IDnum integer PRIMARY KEY , aname VARCHAR[10], DOB integer, DOD integer, nationality VARCHAR[200])",$sqliteerror);
    @sqlite_query($db,"CREATE TABLE Sales (picID integer PRIMARY KEY , sdate date, price decimal)",$sqliteerror);

sqlite_query($db,"INSERT INTO Picture (ID, name, year, artistID) VALUES ( 1, 'The Hay Wain', 1821, 4 )");
    sqlite_query($db,"INSERT INTO Picture (ID, name, year, artistID) VALUES ( 2, 'Salisbury Cathedral from the Meadows', 1831, 4 )");
    sqlite_query($db,"INSERT INTO Picture (ID, name, year, artistID) VALUES ( 3, 'A Wheatfield with Cypresses', 1889, 7 )");

sqlite_query($db,"INSERT INTO Artist (IDnum, aname, DOB, DOD, nationality) VALUES ( 4, 'John Constable', 1776, 1837, 'British' )");
    sqlite_query($db,"INSERT INTO Artist (IDnum, aname, DOB, DOD, nationality) VALUES ( 7, 'Vincent Van Gogh', 1853, 1890, 'Dutch' )");

sqlite_query($db,"INSERT INTO Sales (picID, sdate, price) VALUES ( 1, 2008-01-01, 23.56 )");
    sqlite_query($db,"INSERT INTO Sales (picID, sdate, price) VALUES ( 1, 2008-01-09, 500230.00 )");
    sqlite_query($db,"INSERT INTO Sales (picID, sdate, price) VALUES ( 1, 2009-12-15, 87.56 )");

sqlite_close($db);

?>

I'm not very familiar with SQLite, but a few thoughts to help debug:

- Always use "<?php" tags, not "<?", just to be sure your code will always work regardless of PHP environment (probably not the issue here, but it's good general practice).

- While in development stage, don't use the "@" error suppression operator: you want to see all errors/warnings/notices right now.

- Along with the above, while developing you probably want all errors/warnings/notices reported, either to the error_log or to the screen:
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    ini_set
    ('display_errors'true); // if you want them displayed instead of logged, change to false when in production mode
    error_reporting(E_ALL);
    // rest of code...
    ?>
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information