www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Replace any & in a link with %26

Hybrid View

Question Replace any & in a link with %26

Hello,

I will try to be as descriptive and clear as possible; IT and web development isn't my background, but fate has made me the main web developer I have been searching this forum and Googling for quite some time on this.

Problem: I need to change any instance of an ampersand (&) to %26 in a specific URL.

Complications: The URL that needs to have all & changed to %26 is being made from the referring URL using document.referrer. Our school uses a product called "EZProxy" to authenticate users into other websites, but it only works if the & in a link is a %26. Also, not all URL's can have this change on the page and still work, only this specific one. I'm also a beginner and admittedly don't really know what I'm doing.

What I'm using right now:

Code:
    <script>                     
        document.write('<a href="http://test.ezproxy.edu/login?url=' + document.referrer + '" target="_blank">Click Here</a>');
    </script>
    This brings up the URL from the referring page pretty well and adds the proper prefix I need (the test.exproxy.edu" part), but it also needs to change any instance of & to %26 and I just don't know how to do it. I figured out how to change a & to a %26 if it's plain text, but I can't crack how to get it to do it with the URL provided by document.referrer. Is that even possible?

Thanks for any suggestions and pointers, any help appreciated.

See this page about encodeURIComponent

Code:
    alert(encodeURIComponent('&jules')); //=> %26jules
    But there is not certain you have to encode this ampersand & !

See too this page which explains the different uses of encodeURI and encodeURIComponent

Thumbs up Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the links and example! I appreciate the help for a beginner - with the links, example, and some tinkering, I came up with a solution that worked for me. The encodeURIComponent option worked best for it. For the curious, it's below:

Code:
    document.write('<a href="https://EZPROXY.prefix.example.edu/open?url=' + encodeURIComponent(document.referrer) + '" target="_blank">TEXT OF LINK</a>');

Thread Information