www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need assistance with a menu drop down having multiple columns

Hybrid View

Need assistance with a menu drop down having multiple columns

Hi and thanks for reading.

I am stuck with how to modify the code, not sure if its css or html or javascript/jquery stuff that needs the change, but I have a top navigation menu on the site Diamedical dot com

When you hover over products for example it shows a drop down list of other menu buttons, what I am needing is advice how to modify this so that for example if there are 40 items in that drop down list perhaps it creates 4 columns of 10 instead of one big long menu drop down of all 40.

Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance for anyone posting any advice.
    OriginalFundRaisingWidget - Free "Non Commercial" PayPal FundRaising Widget, for Charities, Organizations and Individuals, Hosted Free. Check It Out

I doubt it makes sense to have 40 items for a single element in a drop down. Either it needs to be broken down; or be a static sidebar menu or there should just be a link at the top level that goes to a page with a more detailed menu.

Before you proceed withalything, I would recommend you validate and fix the 24 errors in the code. A lot of them are minor, but you have a serious issue with duplicate ids; and if you are going to use HTML5, then you need to eliminate the obsolete tag attributes.
    Cd&
    one of my toys And my repository and my old self ranting plus a bonus Getting the most out of Q/A sites
    Code that is 100% standards compliant is 100% correct 100% of the time... anything else is just a hack

Thanks for the advice, its not my site just helping someone out with a problem they need sorted.

Regardless of how many items in the menu, or errors in their code (which I am not getting paid to fix so will have to wait unless they wish them fixed etc), I just need to know how to modify the menu so it has multiple columns of links like it is currently when you hover over products there is a long menu drop down that appears, lets say I want to split that up and have it half as long but twice as wide with the items appearing side by side, maybe with a separating line between them perhaps, how would this be done based on the code they currently are using?

Thanks
    OriginalFundRaisingWidget - Free "Non Commercial" PayPal FundRaising Widget, for Charities, Organizations and Individuals, Hosted Free. Check It Out

You probably have to break up the list and use a couple of floated divs to hold the pieces probably with a figure tag as the container. It makes the CSS problematic. More work then I would ever be willing to do for a presentation that is never going to be very user friendly.
    Anyway a rough structure:
    Code:
    <figure>
        <div>
            <ul>
                <li>...
            </ul>
        </div>
        <div>
             <ul>
                 <li>...
             </ul>
        </div>
    </figure>
    but the CSS to make that structure work right is horrifying.
    Cd&
    one of my toys And my repository and my old self ranting plus a bonus Getting the most out of Q/A sites
    Code that is 100% standards compliant is 100% correct 100% of the time... anything else is just a hack

I have seen other sites doing similar that looks good works great but they are using complex javascript/jquery coding it seems like something custom built so no help there.

Thanks for all the help but I have found a solution, for anyone else wishing to also the solution can be found here http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ht...rop-down-menu/ (hope its ok to post)

Thread Information