www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Fit headline (or span) of text onto one line and resize based on container width

Exclamation Fit headline (or span) of text onto one line and resize based on container width

Ok, so I have a div that has a few lines of text (all separate items) that need to be about 96% wide and fit inside that div. The containing div is dynamic, with a width based on a percentage of the window size. Resizing the window should re-size the text. I have short entries (for example, "Smith" etc) and long entries (for Example "Smith & Sons, Co." etc) and they all need to be on a single line and fairly sized.

There should be a minimum and maximum size allowed and if the minimum causes a problem it should not wrap the text...

I could do something similar to this with a complex set of media queries in CSS, but I hear it's much easier with JavaScript or jQuery. (jQuery is installed already, btw)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pwidth.zip

See if this is anything like you wanted. I understand, that you are not very familiar with jQuery, but it works really simple:

I used paragraphs, so i had to float them to adapt to content width. Then, with jQuery, i get all the paragraphs and increment their font-size until they are as wide as the container.

Thread Information