dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: directly opening with notepad?

directly opening with notepad?

Hello guys, I'm new at this and I was wondering if anyone knows a way to directly open a file with notepad/a pre-chosen text editor?
    for example you have an html file and you want to open with it notepad, I would love to be able to shift double click it to directly open it with notepad.

On the MAC, i just dragged the HTML file onto the icon for TextEdit> I think it should would for any text editor (or browser) if you have icons on your desktop for these programs.

Clicking the ____.HTML file opens it is a browser. If you save your doc as a ________.TXT text file, you can click it to open it in the text editor program you save it in.

You can FILE>Open or shortcut keys Alt/Option-O

ERROR. What was I thinking. The MAC main "converter" keys are Command (Apple) and Option; PCs are Control (CTRL) and Alt. Both use Shift in combination with other keys.

CORRECTION: Shortcut to Open files would be CTRL / Command + O

Hey Major Payne, that second reference about "Right Click and choose application" works on MAC too.

Quote Originally Posted by waxdoc View Post
    Hey Major Payne, that second reference about "Right Click and choose application" works on MAC too.
    I do have a MAC book, but no MAC, but nice to know it works.

Right click and choose open with Notepad. Choose the option Remember this so that the next time you open, it will always opens with Notepad

Set notepad as default to view those .html files by Right clicking--> Open with --> and set notepad as default.

But why use Notepad? There are so much better free text editors around. I use Crimson Editor v3.60, but many people swear by Notepad++.

I think, you just need to change the file format..

i just dragged the HTML file onto the icon for TextEdit

**Links removed by Site Administrator so it doesn't look like you're spamming us. Please don't post them again.**

Thread Information