www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Div?

Div?

I have made a layout for my website and I have to make an html code. I have studied an already made one and I am having one problem. I dont know how to get my text where I want it. I asked somebody before and they mentioned something about DIV. I have no idea what this is or how to use it or if its even corrct. Could somebody please help me?

<div>text</div> its just a basic block element. Div stands for division. It is its own little block, independent of a table. www.bluerobot.com has layouts that have no tables and are just divs with css positioning them. View the source of some of them to an the idea of what I am talking about.

Check out the CSS Zen Garden.

<div style="position:absolute; left:50px; top:72px; width:350px; height:517px; overflow:auto">

what would this do? I am confused about the left:50px; top:72px; width:350px; height:517px; thing. They seem like some measurments...what do they mean?

that is a bit of css. They do just what they sound like! 50px from the left, 72 from the top, 350 wide, 517 high. Overflow auto would create a verticle scroll bar if the content is bigger then the div.

http://www.webdevfaqs.com/css.php

Go there for some basic CSS info. Read up on external CSS because that's where you will be defining your CSS at, or at least that's where you should define it.

Thread Information