www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: how to post a plain text only page on web?

how to post a plain text only page on web?

Hi All,

I have what may be an unusual question. How do I post a plain text-only page up on the internet? An example of what I want is http://www.aliebling.com/sigs.txt

There's no html on this page. Only plain text.

I tried to do this on Google Sites using the "Add Files" feature, but when I go to the link it goes right to a "download file" dialog box which is not what I want.

Example: https://sites.google.com/site/jaiamm...r_sig_line.txt

I also tried html extension: https://sites.google.com/site/jaiamm..._sig_line.html and it also takes me to a download dialog box.

So it looks like it can't be done on Google Sites. If anyone knows how to do this, let me know and I'll do it on some other web host.

Let me know if my question is not clear. Thanks!

Advait

I do not understand why someone has bothered to pay for a site registration to put up a plain text page. But to answer your query, HTML files are just formalized text anyway, so you put a text file on line the same as an html file. Basically that mean using FTP or whatever upload facilities your host supports.

I would guess that they are using URL rewriting via the web server to call a file serving script, which then identifies the file to be downloaded, sets the necessary HTTP output headers (content-type, etc.), then reads/outputs the contents of the file.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    I would guess that they are using URL rewriting via the web server to call a file serving script, which then identifies the file to be downloaded, sets the necessary HTTP output headers (content-type, etc.), then reads/outputs the contents of the file.
    OK, thanks for the info. Looks like the solution you outlined is way above my skill level. I'm a n00b and know nothing about scripts or FTP or output headers, etc. I was hoping there would be an easy way to do this. If you know an easy way, let me know. If this is the only way to do this, then I'll scrap the project or wait til I find a friendly geek to help me. I would love it if I had time to learn this stuff, but too many other commitments. Darn! :-)

Thanks again for your reply! Kind Regards,

Advait

If you are using Google doc (drive now), you have option to publish them too...

Thread Information