Thread: javascript popup won't process onClick function, populates opener content instead

javascript popup won't process onClick function, populates opener content instead

Hi Folks,

JS newbie here pulling out what's left of my hair over this. Code below. If I create an <a> (for example), the onClick function works fine, and my checkOK() function also works if executed from the parent window rather than the popup, but with the code as configured, I just get the parent's (opener's) html appearing in the popup. I suspect the problem may be related to not specifying a URL in the window.open() function, but I don't know how to name a popup, or whether that would solve the issue. Any tips much appreciated, cheers.

var pwentered=/^.*(?=.{7,})(?=.*\d)(?=.*[a-z])(?=.*[A-Z])(?=.*[.|,|*|&|%\#|@|!|:|;|"|\'|_|-]).*$/;

function checkOK(strng){
    if (pwentered.test(strng)) {
    document.cookie="pw" + "=" + strng;
    alert("Password is good and has been saved.");
    var retrievedpw=getCookie("pw"); //note getCookie() is another function omitted here for brevity
    if (retrievedpw!=null && retrievedpw!="");
    alert("Your password is " + retrievedpw );
    else {
    $("#teststring").val("Please Retry");
    alert("PW not working.");

//this script opens new window with password form
    function open_pw_window(){';
    options = "toolbar=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=0, resizable=0,width=400,height=400,top=200,left=200;
    newvu = window.open("","",options);
    newvu.document.write("<html><head><title>Create Password</title></head><body><em><br/>");
    newvu.document.write("<b><h3>Create a new password</h3></b></em>Must be at least <b>7 characters</b> with <b>no spaces</b>,<br/>");
    newvu.document.write("and include at least <em>one of each</em> of the following:<br/><br/>a <b>capital letter</b> (A...Z),<br/> a <b>lower-case letter</b> (a...z),<br/>");
    newvu.document.write("a <b>number</b> (0-9), and<br/>a <b>punctuation mark</b> (period, hyphen, exclamation,<br/>apostrophe, colon, quotation mark).<br/><br/>");
    newvu.document.write("After entering your new password, click the<br/><b>Save Password</b> button to continue.<br/><br/>");
    newvu.document.write("<div id=\"pwdiv\"><form id=\"pwform\">Enter Password <input id=\"teststring\">");
    newvu.document.write("<input type=\"submit\" id=\"text1\" value=\"Save Password\" onClick=\"checkOK(this.form.teststring.value);\"></form></div><br/><br/>");

Somewhere behind your screen
    do you really need a pop up window?
    signature under construction

Thread Information