www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: iFrame website doesn't change url when changing pages

Smile iFrame website doesn't change url when changing pages

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I'm excited to learn from all of you. My background is in
    marketing so I need help sometimes with website issues. I have a potential client that
    has an iframe src from a wordpress.com site. The iframe site maintains the homepage
    url even when selecting the individual pages of the site.
    The source code of the iframe site is below:

</head>
    <frameset rows="100%,*" border="0">
    <frame src="http://xxxxxx.wordpress.com/" frameborder="0" />
    <frame frameborder="0" noresize />
    </frameset>

<!-- pageok -->
    <!-- 01 -->
    <!-- -->
    </html>

I'm not sure why they set this up in such a way as the search engines are seeing only one page.
    How would I fix this so that the iframe site would show the page url's when the pages are selected? I'm out of my league on this one and I would appreciate any help.

Thanks so much!

These are <frame>s, not <iframe>s, and that's just the way that <frame>s work. The browser reflects the URL of the top page, which contains only your <frameset> and never changes until the user leaves your domain. There are no other pages in your domain for the search engines to index.

You might be able to point your domain name directly at the content on wordpress.com. Check the documentation. Otherwise, if you want your site to behave like other sites for users and search engines, you should buy a conventional hosting service and use that to host your blog. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Thanks Rick! I'll probably recommend that they move the original website from wordpress.com to self hosted wordpress.org.

Thanks for explaining the frames!

Thread Information