dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Is a databases needed for this concept? If not, what will I need?

Hybrid View

Is a databases needed for this concept? If not, what will I need?

Hello,
    Let me first apologize if this is not the correct group for the following topic. Perhaps it belongs in the General forum but I just did not know where else to discuss this concept.

I need to add the following feature to an existing website:

Allow 50 different users the ability to log in with a name and password
    This login is to bring them to a read-only area where instructions, information, etc., will be waiting for them.
    Since these instructions will be different and private for each individual, this is the reason I need to have 50 separate login/passwords.

From the web owner's side, I need a way that he can access this same setup (via his website) and enter the 50 different instructions, directions, etc.
    The web owner is not particularly technical, so I cannot have him directly accessing the server, etc.
    His access should be via website, similarly to the way the 50 users would access their instructions.

Can someone tell me what I looking for with type of setup?
    Is this the type of thing that a database would be needed for?
    Is that any pre-packaged or already available code that could give me the ability to do something as I have described?
    I have access to the server and PHP is available (though I know nothing about it). Is a pre-packaged program available in that language for something as I have described?
    I also have MySQL on the server (though I have never used it nor know much about that either).

Hopefully I've described the project clearly enough to perhaps get some guidance as to what I am looking for.
    As noted I do not know about PHP or Databases in general, but if these approaches are the method(s) I need to do what I described, I can probably get help to assist me.
    Thank you in advance for any help or guidance you may be able to offer.
    Regards.

While you could do it using some sort of flat text file (XML, JSON, CSV, etc.), my first choice by a pretty wide margin would be to use a database: it's powerful, flexible, and scalable.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thank you Nogdog for the reply.
    It is appreciated.

Could you possibly lead me in a direction of such a database?
    The server system where the website in question is setup has PHP and MySQL capability.
    Do you have any example sites where I might see such a system in action?
    I realize of course that it would not be as I have described it but any example of MySQL database in action that utilizes a login system as I noted would be very helpful.

Once again, thank you for your reply.
    Regards.

I don't know of anything off the top of my head, but I'm sure if you search on something like "login control with PHP and MySQL", there ought to be more that a few dozen (hundred?) hits of interest. You might also search sites like sourceforge.net and phpclasses.org for 3rd party PHP code that you might be able to "plug in" to your app with minimal fuss.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thank you again.
    I'll do such a search immediately.
    If you don't mind, I'd like to tap your knowledge again in the future.
    Regards.

The developer has to create management functions accessible from a Web page and User functions accessible from another Web page. The two different sorts of functionalities will be tied together by the developer using a real database, like Mysql.

Thank you WyCnet for your reply.
    It is becoming clear to me that I am in way over my head, as I have never designed a database before nor do I really understand the underlying structural concepts required (such as the example you just described).
    My only real chance at achieving my goal (in any reasonable time), would be to see a working example of what you just described.
    Then perhaps, I'd have a chance at duplicating or (more likely) utilizing much of what I would see from a first hand examination of its functionality and code.
    Unless you know of someplace I could see such a working example, I believe I have reached the end of this particular quest.
    Thank you all again.

Thread Information