www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: a few questions for a beginner

Hybrid View

a few questions for a beginner

hey guys, im not sure if this is the right section for this but i want to make a website that requires more coding knowledge then i have. ( i only took a few classes on HTML in high school, learned a little CSS on my own and currently taking JAVA in college.)
    i want to create a site that allows users to search for a certain item using a drop down menu ( like searching for a car on ebay) (make, model, year) and then sent to a page with information regarding the item selected.

i also want a classifieds section, separate from the information section. like a Craigslist but only a few categories.

i have limited knowledge like i said so any input as far as how to go about doing this would be great
    if someone could point me in the right direction for this it would be very helpful

If you're going to write it yourself from scratch, then you need to understand databases, including database design and SQL. You'll need proficiency in whichever server-side programming language you choose to use (e.g. PHP, Ruby, Python, Java/JSP, C#/.NET just to name a few), and so forth. Depending on how much of a hurry you're in and how much you're willing to start over once or twice as you learn and get better, you might want to look to hire someone (or maybe barter with him/her if you have some skill/ability to trade?), look for some CMS or other 3rd party package that does most of what you need, or a combination of both (getting someone to help pick the right 3rd party package(s) and then tweak it to your specific needs).
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

If you are using Wordpress, then there would be plugin to create a classified page/directory etc. try checking it.

thanks for the help guys!
    i seems to me that this is quite over my ability and although i am willing to learn, for the essence of time, how much would a site like this cost if i hired someone to do it? Any recommendations for such? im assuming there arnt any "web site builder" options for something like this?
    thanks

You could poke around some at http://www.opensourcecms.com/ to see if there's anything there close to what you're looking for.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

would something like joomla have the features im looking for? im not quite sure how to view a CMS's features. iv been a bit of research on joomla and there are a bunch of tutorials but nothing tailored to the features im looking for. this website is turning out to be alot harder then expected.

Thread Information