www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Resizing Page inside an Iframe

Resizing Page inside an Iframe

Hi Everyone,
    Is it possible to resize the webpage inside of an iframe? I would like to make the width of the page inside of the iframe the same as the width of the iframe so that I do not need to use the horizontal scroll bar to see the full width of the webpage? Thanks in advance.

Hi Developer1,

You can accomplish this by setting the width property of your page's body. The body's width will need to be a little less than the width of the iframe though. Assuming your iframe is 600px, the following code can be used.
    body {
    width: 560px; /* You might be able to use a little more than that. Experiment if you like */
    }

Hope this helps.

Why are you using an iframe anyway?

Hi, thanks for replying. I am using an iframe to display external web pages on my site. I've read that you can use the object element to display external web pages on your site but I don't know if it is compatible with non-microsoft browsers.

Hi, thanks for replying. When you say "setting the width property of your page's body", are you talking about the width property of my web page or the width property of the external web page being displayed inside of my iframe? If you are referring to the width property of my web page, wouldn't setting its width to 600px or less mess up its current layout?

I was referring to the body tag's width property of the external page that you are trying to load via iframe.

Hi I forgot to ask you how one can set the width property of an external page that is not on your domain. I know how to set the width property of any page within my domain but not a page that belongs to other people's domain.

Hi,
    Normally, you can't change CSS on the external file. There are ways to accomplish this though like using PHP's file_get_contents function to retrieve the external file's content, modify it to your needs, and re-save the file on your domain. Another option is to get the external file's contents via AJAX, then your site's global styles will naturally apply to it.

Thread Information